iPhone 4 AT&T contract question (upgrading & policies) and a misc. question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cmm, Sep 21, 2010.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Hi all!

I've had my iPhone 3GS for awhile now and it works great except for when I want to make a call (then it's shoddy). Anyway, I'd like to upgrade to the iPhone 4 for some of the new features, but I'm not in a huge rush (I don't HAVE to have it), so I can wait until I am eligible for a phone upgrade.

How do I find out if I am eligible for an upgrade (with a discount, and how much of a discount) on my AT&T contract? It is a business contract (I am the owner and have the only line). I don't want to call AT&T prematurely and wait on hold for 15+ minutes, I rather ask here.

Also, anyone in Boston who can tell me if the service has gotten better with the iPhone 4? Is a case or bumper absolutely necessary? I don't use either on my iPhone 3GS because the case is too bulky, but I am aware of the antennagate scandal (which has seemed to fade away now...). I do sometimes make phone calls, so if a bumper or case is necessary, I'd like to know before I need to make a call and can't.

Finally, I read from several sources about AT&T capping data. In other words, no more unlimited data, but I haven't received any notices from AT&T directly about this. A few sources said people with current plans are godfathered in and can keep their unlimited data plans and that capped plans only effect new customers, or current customers who don't want an unlimited plan, so they cap it at X GB per month to save money. Can someone fill me in on the specifics here?

Thank you!

2. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

You can check your upgrade status online, either via AT&T's OLAM site, or via Apple's site. If you want, you can even order online. I went to a Apple store after checking, wanted one quickly :D.

iPhone 4 gets better reception for me, than my 3Gs did. I can duplicate the 'antenna gate' issue, if I want to, but I use a case (not a bumper), so it's a non issue as far as I'm concerned. Battery life is also better than the 3Gs (new battery, and larger capacity).

You can keep your unlimited data plan.

Can't speak to AT&T's service in Boston.

3. shelbymayer macrumors regular

you can also dial *new# (*639#) from your cell phone and it will send you a free text message telling you your upgrade status.

as long as you already have unlimited data you are grandfathered in. Once you drop down to either the $25 or $15 plan it is pretty hard to get your unlimited data back (it will require a call to customer service or multiple calls if the person you speak with isn't very helpfull)

4. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

shelbymayer: I tried that trick last time and got some error message. Just tried it again, and got another (service not available). I'll try the apple site now - the AT&T site is a POS.

UPDATE: Apple site doesn't work for business accounts. AT&T site says not eligible, but doesn't say anything more than that. I guess I'll call them some day to find out when I will be.