iPhone 4 att contract needed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iag48, Sep 22, 2010.

1. iag48 macrumors regular

I have obtained an iphone 4 but do not want to go into contract with att. Is it possible to get monthly plans from them? OR do I need a contract even though I have my own phone?

Thanks.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

You only sign a contract if you buy a subsidized phone from ATT. Otherwise you are free to pay by the month.

3. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

So I just go to an Att store and tell them I want service and pay month by month?

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

AT&T will only allow you to use a prepaid or GoPhone. Supposedly the GoPhone plans block the iPhone from accessing them, I'm not sure. T-Mobile does offer monthly plans without a contract though, they're still rather new. I believe they're called Even More Plus Plans and only require the purchase of a SIM card plus the activation fee. Of course, that means you'll only get EDGE data.

5. NickkyJ macrumors regular

T-mobile is much cheaper and does offer unlimited data. Although 2GB is alot of memory, if you are planning on going on the net alot and using videos and games alot that t-mobile is the place to go.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

So you can get an unlocked iPhone and use t-mobile Internet? I know if one has AT&T iPhone let's say, they can get on t-mobile but only with edge.

How's t-mobiles network compared to AT&T?

Marc

7. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

My iPhones (2 3gs) ran very well with edge and Opera mini. In fact, it would load pages faster than co-worker's iPhones on att's 3g.

I just went to best buy and bought an h2o prepaid card. Works fine!:cool:
    This is a temporary solution until unlock becomes available. then i ll be using it with tmobile.

8. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

yeah - they only lock you into a contract if you get a subsidized phone.