iPhone 4 - audio bug

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Topspin14m, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Topspin14m macrumors newbie

Got my iPhone 4 today. Synced it up. Installed a Zagg shield. Everything was good. Then about 3 hours later at random I called my gf and tossed her on speakerphone and she couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear her. The entire unit on the bottom of the phone (mic+speaker) wasn't working. This persisted all day. I tried the old plug the headphones in and out a bunch of times trick. Didn't seem to be the problem. I did a bunch of hard resets...didn't work. Did a complete factory restore by plugging it back into my laptop...didn't work. Made a genius bar appointment. Started to go to bed. Plugged it into the wall and bam...the speaker+mike are working again. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone heard of this bug before? Should I try to return it and get another one or just count my blessings and be happy it is working again?

EDIT: Just realized I might have been unclear. I made calls earlier in the day on speaker phone fine. When the unit went out I couldn't get any sound at all. No ringing, no keyboard typing noise, nothing. I could make calls without being on speaker phone as normal after the bottom speaker went out, and vibrate worked fine.

2. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

I think this could be related to my open defect discussed in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=963891

I've seen the exact same thing and more. I believe it's either a) a problem with apps using background audio or b) something to do with the phone not correctly recognizing state changes related to the silent/vibrate switch on the side.

3. Topspin14m thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. I was using Wunderradio before it went out. That is interesting. I never had an issue on my 3gs with iOS4 but maybe that is it. The weird part is that I did a full software restore and it didn't fix anything...That led me to rule out software as a problem. Maybe I did so too soon.

4. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Wunderradio may well be the key. My problems seem to occur most often after using that to.

5. rittchard macrumors 6502

I just posted in a different sound problem thread but I'm definitely Case b. I don't have any background apps running with sound so that wasn't my problem. However I did just use the mute switch at a movie, and the problem appeared when I switched back.