iPhone 4 - Australia - Telstra - Grip of Death

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ArmCortexA8, Aug 1, 2010.

1. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

I decided after all the negative talk about the iPhone 4 having issues with its antenna - delightfully referred to as the "Grip of Death", to try this on my brand new iPhone 4 on Telstra - as I expected this issue did not occur - video proof here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yR7FY0-cqk The issues that did occur in the US / Canada are because of the sub standard networks and poor reliability, unlike Telstra here in Australia. This same grip of death also fails to occur on my brothers iPhone 4 as well. Further proof its a network issue, not the iPhone 4 itself.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Telstra + Death Grip: 5 bars, didn't drop at all.

Optus + Death Grip: 4 bars down from 5.

Yet to try it on Vodafone but if there's one network that's gonna fail it's Vodafone.

3. ArmCortexA8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apparently Optus / Vodafone / 3 are the worst.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've been with Optus for years and haven't had an issue. I buried that phone in my left hand and it dropped to 4 bars. My iPhone 3G showed 4 bars sitting next to it on the desk.

Telstra is definitely the king of mobile networks in terms of speed and coverage but I couldn't justify the extra cost of their terms.

5. ArmCortexA8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was with Optus on the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS and their 3G (both 12 month contracts) network is **** in the same areas where the iPhone 4 works perfectly, it usually dropped to GSM, which meant most of my 3G apps were useless. Hence, why Im glad I jumped to Telstra (prepaid).

6. nukztar macrumors member

Iphone 4 in Singapore

In Singapore at the moment,

Networks are great here. Depending on the coverage, at times i was able to drop it from 5 to 3 both on Starhub and Singtel.

7. asr10 user macrumors regular

Mine wont drop bars if I hold it like that either. But if I fully cup it with the back of the iphone completely in my palm, it will drop. Try that.

8. peterjcat macrumors 6502

It's never been disputed that if you have a sufficiently strong signal, the attenuation caused by touching or holding the phone will not cause your calls or even your bars to drop. Telstra has a good network but there will be areas within that network where the iPhone 4 will display exactly the same behaviour as it would with AT&T. The video doesn't prove or disprove anything.

9. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I'am also a long time telstra user, upon ending my iPhone 3G I got the iPhone 4 32gb wanted white but I couldn't wait, anyways I thought the phone was going to be bad as in 1 bar but on average I get 3 bars with both fingers positioned at the bottom of the phone. Either way I want to get a case to protect the back, from the state of my previous iPhone 3G fading and stretched does the case act as a bumper improving reception.

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

I'm quite surprised you can do that in Singapore... The signal is great usually. But at least you didn't start off with 2-3 bars and drop it to zero like many did with AT&T here...

11. KandyKane macrumors 6502

My sim card didn't activate properly so I'm permanently on 2g at the moment. The signal strength on gsm sucks and i can easily make it drop bars. Hopefully tomorrow (Monday) I can fix my sim card issue and it fixes the signal strength!

12. nukztar macrumors member

Yea it surprised me too. Im only visiting singapore for work.. in some locations i had no issues. could not get the thing to drop,, but in other locations where i still had 5 bars, i could get it to drop down to 2, no further.

13. illutionz macrumors 65816

Yeah I lived there for 6 years... They even get full 3G and Voice underground :eek:

14. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Wrong. The german "consumer reports" equivalent Stiftung Warentest tested the iPhone 4 and found a signal loss of 90% with one finger at the right spot as opposed to 25% signal loss in other phones with "death grip".

It's the iPhone 4, no doubt about it whatsoever.