iPhone 4 Australian Carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gli.Azzuri, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Gli.Azzuri macrumors member

Ohk so this is a simple thread, im not sure if its been created before. (New to the forums...)
    This is mainly for Australian iPhone 4 Users.

Which carrier has the best services and deals out of Vodafone, 3, Telstra, Optus and Virgin.

I'm with Telstra and i believe they are great. Example I Was at the snow a few weeks ago and all (most) my family was with optus and they couldnt get any reception. I pull my phone out which is with Telstra and its lightning quick in the middle of nowhere :) so i love telstra even though they may cost more. :apple: :cool:

Also i'm quite sure that in terms of best coverage, Telstra takes the win with ease.

Edit: Thought i might add to this thread if you experience dropped calls with any of the above carriers. I have had none so far without a case although i do use them for protection. :) Feel free to add experience with dropped calls.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Hopefully this thread will thrive :)

But really, if you want any good info, go to www.whirlpool.net.au. The forum there dwarfs this one.

I'm on Optus, get reception just about anywhere I may roam, and sure, it's definitely not as good as NextG but sure as hell, I'm not paying more than 2x to get the same numbers as Optus.

iPhone 4 32GB, $59+10/month, $550 credit, Optus-Optus unmetered, 2GB. Free TETHERING! :D

3. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Has Optus enabled free tethering? I remember when OS 3.0 was announced, they were going to charge $10 for it...must have changed policy.

Next G (Telstra) is probably the fastest network we have, and has the greatest coverage. But this becomes a slightly moot point so long as you reside in the Metro areas of Australia where everyone has relatively similar performance.

I'm personally on Virgin (which piggy backs on Optus), and I pay $44 or $54 a month for a gig of data and $300 worth of calls. As everyone I know is Virgin and there is free virgin to virgin, I never get close to $300...

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

And unlimited SMS/MMS. It's a ripper of a deal.

5. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

From what I gather, it's the new plans that come with 'Use phone as Modem' in their plan features. I literally cried out in joy when I read that part :D I was getting an iP4 anyway, but that really takes the cake.

Yup, that's why it doesn't really matter which network I'm on. I know there are black spots on my commute on the train (open areas), but at least I get an average of over 2500kbps/1500kbps down/up on speedtest. Hell, I got a sustained speed of 850KB/s (6800 kbps) sitting in the middle of Sydney Airport tethered to my MBP. I was downloading updates to apps and streaming the recent keynote in HD.

How could I forget that! I don't see how Optus are making any money, esp since I got 4 months free access off them :)

7. Gli.Azzuri thread starter macrumors member

yeah telstra screwed up nice for me i got a 32gb instead of a 16gb which i was supposed to get :) is it possible to transfer 3g from phone to computer?

8. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Yes, it's called tethering (as distinct from "tethered jailbreak").

Look it up on google.

9. DoorMouse macrumors member

I'm on telstra- $49 business plan. Whilst telstra is more expensive than any of the other carriers, they are the only one to have reception at my parents place in rural nsw- and I'm not going back to the time when I would stay and never have reception!

10. matmont1305 macrumors newbie

I'm on Telstra in Brisbane and travel all over SE QLD for work and have yet to be without reception on my iP4 ( no dropped calls either, case free!).
    And I have family and friends on Optus and Vodafone who can't get reliable reception at their houses in Brisbane.
    Can't verify this but I've been told that Telstra build their towers to overlap coverage more than other networks.

11. Gli.Azzuri thread starter macrumors member

true thats why telstra is the bomb :) even though they may be more pricey..

12. seba-san macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    Dont want to hijack this thread, but I will be visiting Perth in November.
    Any recommendations which carriers to use to get a pre paid micro sim for my iphone 4? I want to use it for data mostly, so which packages are the best?
    Thanks in advance.

cheers
    sebastian

13. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

I live in the Southern Highlands and I'm with Vodafone. The reception is great and I get $800 worth of calls+free vodafone to vodafone or 3 all day every day + unlimited text + 2GB data for $79 a month

14. Gli.Azzuri thread starter macrumors member

Also, does anyone have their free case yet? I've been waiting for ages :S even though the case will be bad anyway...