Iphone 4 Auto Focus problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by toppnotch, Oct 19, 2010.

1. toppnotch macrumors newbie

My iphone 4 is only 40 days old and it wont auto focus. when i hold the camera close to some text it is blurry and unreadable, and when i tap to focus the only thing the phone does is lighten or darken the screen depending where i tap. the front camera works fine if i hold it close to text and take the photo but that is pain. anyone know how to fix this? i can hold my wifes 3gs the same way and the text is readable. I have tried restoring as new and back up with no luck, and i have tried other camera apps and it is the same result.

thanks

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Mine has developed the same issue. I'm heading up to Sydney at some stage to have it replaced.

It's a hardware issue, the auto-exposure works properly but the lens isn't moving so it means it's a faulty phone. Thankfully the rest of it works just fine so it's not a huge deal.

3. theviper0308 macrumors newbie

i have iphone4 32gb.
    my auto focus also not working.i was tried everthing but not work.
    -restore firmware/ios = not working
    -install super camera = not working

and lastly i've got the problem solved!

step 1:
    open your default camera application and dont close it.

step 2:
    flick the rear camera using your finger at the top side and the back side of the camera lens,
    and that same time too try to tap your screen to help your camera to force/help/make auto focus function to work.

and now your camera + auto focus is working!!

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Gave it a good flickin' but still no dice. Time to go to Sydders.

5. theviper0308 macrumors newbie

try again with little bit more hard flicking until the camera auto focus is start moving. :)

see this:
    1 HDR + Original pic. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

what's the point of the pictures, other than showing everyone that you need to dust?

7. theviper0308 macrumors newbie

the proof :D

8. Davidwoodcox macrumors newbie

I had the same problem!!

I tried your method and it fixed it!!! I had to flick it pretty hard but it worked! Thanks alot!!

9. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Heh, it worked for me too. Didn't expect it to work honestly :)

10. Windsor7 macrumors newbie

What do you mean by flicking the top and behind the camera? Can you show with a video?

11. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Does the focus get better the harder you hit it?

You know where I'm going with this...

12. Matthewmunish macrumors newbie

Hey please and a lot of please but can u please explain me the flicking technique and how to do it
    U can mail me hspsmlover@yahoo.com
    Or viber text call me +919815954649
    or facetime on same number

But please tell me buddy i really want to have my phone to be right please contact me or reply to this or anyone who reads this post!!!!!!!!

13. MacRumoren macrumors member

My iphone4 camera stopped to focus too, after so much hard "flicking" to the point of "banging on the desk", I still couldn't get it to work :(

Time to send it back, sigh..

14. SamPhoto macrumors member

I'm really happy that this worked for me as well. I had to tap it pretty hard several times but now it focuses again. Thanks for the tip!!

15. tiaguind2 macrumors newbie

Heyy, I really would likemto know exatcly what you guys made! I got the same problem and could not solve doing it... If possible someone could make a video showing that I bet it would help way more people that might be having the same problem! Thanks a Lot!

16. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

This may lead to the deduction that loose rattling autofocus rings might be better in the long run. Hah. Goodluck,op.

17. Vin174 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my iPhone 4 16GB. The camera won't auto focus after flicking and trying to get the auto focus square focus automatically on random spots n focus lengths. Ive tapped on the screen heaps of times and nothing. Every photo taken weather close or far is fuzzy and undefined. I guess this is a hardware issue. As I tried other camera apps( camera+ and big button) and still the same thing. Does any one have a good solution that works. Would really love your feedback here guys? PS, phone has never been dropped either.

18. Rockjepi macrumors newbie

Hi,
    One week before I changed my 4s back cover
    because it has broken .after that I tried to take some pictures but my Auto focus didn't work.
    How can I fix it?

19. ManhattanBeach macrumors member

My iPhone 4s is having focus issues as well. I didn't know the replacement lenses were so cheap... gonna have to browse ebay and pick one up. Doubt i will be able to replace it on my own though.