iPhone 4 Autofocus Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sheppy1, Aug 21, 2010.

1. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Hi guys, just started having strange issues with my iPhone 4s camera, it's worked fine since I bought it on release day but just now I went to take a picture and the camera went to autofocus the image as always but as it did it, it started making a crunching/rattling noise before it sharpened up the image, I tried it a few more times with mixed results, some times it makes those noises and autofocuses fine, sometimes it makes no noises and autofocuses fine, sometimes it just won't autofocus at all, the little blue box will show up but the image just stays blurry and the camera makes those funny noises again. Has anyone experienced this before? I'd restore it through iTunes and see if that fixes it but I'm currently jailbroken and on firmware 4.0 and I don't want to lose all of my cydia apps and tweaks. I'm thinking of going to the Apple store now but again I'd have to restore my firmware first :(

Edit: Now it just won't autofocus at all, I've tried it about 20 times and each time the little blue box pops up but the image doesn't focus and it's not making those noises anymore either

2. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Well I ended up just restoring and updating to 4.0.2 (I have my SHSH blobs for 4.0.1 though so I'm fine) and taking it to the Apple store, they were cram packed though and said I had to make an appointment soooooo back I go next week

3. Own3d macrumors newbie

What was the outcome of this? I'm having the same problem

4. Own3d macrumors newbie

Resolution

In case anyone runs into this problem in the future and comes across this post, I will tell you what I did.

First off, my phone was jailbroken. I tried several times to restore the phone's OS, but it had no fix.

I made an appointment at an Apple Store with the Genius Bar. After he tried a few things in the software, he then took my phone into the back to check on something. After about 5 minutes of being back there, he came back to me and he deemed it faulty and a replacement iPhone to be given. Within 30 minutes I got a brand new iPhone 4. He also replaced my screen protector with a brand new one. Apple rocks.

So if any of you run into this problem, you should attempt to restore your software to see if it is a software error. If that doesn't work, take it to the Apple Store and get excited, because you're getting a brand new iPhone.