iPhone 4 automatically fetching email on "manual fetch"!!??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wmflyfisher, Sep 2, 2010.

1. wmflyfisher macrumors member

Been using my iphone 4 for a few weeks now and it's been working fine. A couple days ago I've noticed that it's starting to fetch email on it's own with the "manual fetch" option selected. Any ideas?? I think it's affecting my battery life as well. Only have one (yahoo) email account on the phone and I haven't made any changes to the phone. Any help with this would be great.

2. Injector macrumors newbie

I have the same problem and I've seen it mentioned on other forums. The only cure is to toggle your mail accounts off and then turn them on when you need to use them. Hassle I know but for some reason the push function works whether on or off.

3. xdavidwattsx macrumors newbie

I noticed the same thing and it may have started when I upgraded to iTunes 10. For reference, I have had my phone in manual fetch for my gmail and yahoo accounts for months. Everything worked fine until the last few days my yahoo mail is now auto pushing. My settings are still manual and gmail is still only pushing manual but yahoo is pushing automatically.

4. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Settings > Mail, etc etc > Fetch New Data > Advanced > Change it from push to fetch.

5. xdavidwattsx macrumors newbie

Doesn't this disable push in general? I don't want to do that and it's been set on and manual push for months.

6. richardhunt macrumors regular

If you terminate the mail program after you use it and not just close it, it will stop getting messages. I noticed that difference when I updated my 3gs to 4.0, probably still working in the background. I now just kill the mail app after I use it.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

It disables push in the background. You will only get mail when you check it by opening the app (and then you can close it or go about your business, it will fetch in the background).

8. xdavidwattsx macrumors newbie

Don't other apps require this to be on - say Words With Friends? I don't totally want to kill push, just don't want my mail pushing.

9. Injector macrumors newbie

I was fine when using Hotmail on pop3 but as soon as I started using exchange the problems started.

10. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

No it kills push for email. Hence, its under mail settings. You disable push for other apps under their settings.