Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

050715-5007092922_3762c92641.jpg

Image from MICGadget
Apple announced yesterday that the iPhone 4 would finally arrive in China beginning on Saturday, September 25th.
iPhone 4 will be sold in China through Apple’s retail stores for a suggested retail price of CNY4,999 for the 16GB model and CNY5,999 for 32GB model without a contract. At China Unicom stores, iPhone 4 will be available for qualified buyers with a new two year contract, sold separately. For pricing and tariff information please visit www.10010.com.
MICGadget has an unboxing of the Chinese model of the iPhone 4 which does contain Wi-Fi. The iPhone was only recently allowed to ship with Wi-Fi in China due to regulations.

Article Link: iPhone 4 Available in China on September 25th

Drpepper99uk

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2007
One billion iPhone 4 handsets please!! Will be interesting to see the iPhone 4 sales figures at the end of the year with this launch due.

:D

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
So anybody that wants to buy one, has to be approved by the government? How does the process go in China?

Nope,the government act just like FCC here, they approved the device can have WI-FI build in. Actually, this is China Unicom and AAPL business after all:cool:

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
? my iphone also has wifi :) why wouldnt they allow wifi on their phones?

Google for that one.

Believe it or not, but the USA is not the centre of the world; many countries have many regulations on many different things.

benpop

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
It's interesting that the iphone4 ships with a charger in China, whereas the rest of the world has to buy it separately!

Is it CDMA?

(Crosses Fingers)

no it's definitely not CDMA. Why would apple ship a new iphone handset without any announcement at all? There is still one single handset for the whole world. That's also why Apple sells it through China Unicom (which uses GSM/UMTS) rather than China Mobile (the biggest carrier, which uses TC-SCDMA).

numble

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
Interesting that they have some free options for 2-year contracts at around $40 (US) per month. I don't know if they have had that before.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It's interesting that the iphone4 ships with a charger in China, whereas the rest of the world has to buy it separately!

Are you sure? I just looked up the US site and it says it comes with a wall charger. It would be absurd not to include one with a phone.

bernardyap

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2004
KL, Malaysia
iPhone 4 will be start to available in Malaysia on 26th Sept (same week with china)

RRP Price at RM2690 (32GB) and RM2290 (16GB).
Subsidized phone price with sign up voice plan

Source: maxis

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Google for that one.

Believe it or not, but the USA is not the centre of the world; many countries have many regulations on many different things.

who said I was living in the US?

China and its regulations are simply ridiculous. no that much talking about this case in particular, but in general. anyway, perhaps you have a good source where the matter is explained in more detail.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Great news for the people who can afford one – I wonder how many there are still living without basic stuff like water and electricity. No iPhone for them. Not in a billion years.

Also. Isn't it time for Apple to stop using plastic [wrappings] and cut less trees – I have yet to read any of the paper stuff that came with the iPhone 4, and since we're using iTunes to activate the phones... why not simply pull it from the Internet, when people want to read it?

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Etisalat of the UAE also announced availability of iPhone 4 on sept 25th. They're sister company in Saudi Arabia Mobily hinted that it will be available "soon".

Mobinile and vodafon of Egypt announced it too.

Also vodoafone of Qatar is going to release it "soon"

When Apple announced the iPhone 4 Steve Jobs said that it will be available in all countries where the iPhone has been available by September 2010 which is the fastest iPhone roll out.

Good to see they managed to keep up with the strong demand! Now if only they can release the White iPhone!

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Master Chief said:
Great news for the people who can afford one – I wonder how many there are still living without basic stuff like water and electricity. No iPhone for them. Not in a billion years.

Also. Isn't it time for Apple to stop using plastic [wrappings] and cut less trees – I have yet to read any of the paper stuff that came with the iPhone 4, and since we're using iTunes to activate the phones... why not simply pull it from the Internet, when people want to read it?

China has huge emerging middle class, if only 100k can aford it out of the 1+ billion it's a good Market.

Plus china has built up a good infrastructure and basic services are available to a wide percentage of the population.

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
So anybody that wants to buy one, has to be approved by the government? How does the process go in China?

You get a few red envelopes and put money in them and give them to the right people and then your device is allowed to be sold.

That's how china works.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
No YouTube icon on the phone pictured on the box.

Glad I live in a country where YouTube isn't something that the authorities fear so much as to prevent it from being accessed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.