iPhone 4 Back Glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Govern1, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Govern1 macrumors newbie

I know the question has been asked several times, but I haven't found a similar thread so here goes. I've been using my iPhone 4 with naked with an sgp protector for the back. I want to forgo using any kind of protector as they accumulate dust and are a pain to maintain. How easily does the back glass scratch when set on surfaces? Mainly, could users with "naked iPhones" post pics of their backs after use?

Thanks

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I bought my iPhone 4 used and the back was pretty scratched up. I'd say that if you're laying it on a table a lot, the camera IS going to get scratched as well as the back glass. But if you use a plastic back protector you should be fine. I'm ghetto and didn't want to shell out $25 for protectors so I cut up an iPod Touch screen shield that I had and stuck it on the back in pieces. :D Works great, just looks sort of funny. (P.S. I'm only using this solution until my back protector order comes in from over seas :D).

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

You just gotta be careful. Never set it on anything hard. It's pretty damn simple, yet people drag their phones across a granite counter and then complain that their brand new phone has a scratch. Yes, it will still get a few hairlines, but if you're careful and don't set it down on anything hard (is it that complicated to find a newspaper instead of that glass tabletop?). I've gone months and had damn near prefect backs. There were a few hairlines but it was worth it. Then i got replacement iphones for various reasons :D. But also-the oleophobic coating starts to suck FAST. You'll notice oils not wiping off as easily after like a month and that just sucks, but there's always a trade-off.

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've had mine naked for over a year. The back glass had a few hair line scratches, but nothing big.

I always ensure I set it down on a flat smooth surface. If you handle with care, you'll be fine.

On a side note, I just replaced mine yesterday due to dropping it on concrete from about 4 feet. Phone lasted over a year, then all of a sudden...cracked glass!

If you go naked, you have to assume the risk!

5. 306Designs macrumors member

IMO the iPhone and iPad are very scratch resistant compared to what else is out there. My BlackBerry looked like it had taken a bullet by the time I gave it away.

6. Govern1, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

Govern1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated. IMO the slight scratches mentioned by cosmo pilot are worth it to have the feel of the glass. While the sgp is pretty darn close, nothing beats the apple product out of the box, without any plastic handicap on it.

7. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I've made up my mind that when I pick up the iPhone 5, it gets a bumper. HATE the full coverage cases, as they accentuate the boxy-ness of the phone. Nice bumper, though, looks acceptable while letting the phone design (mostly) shine through.

Now, if they wise up and replace the shatter-prone back with something more durable, then naked all the way.

8. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

My wife uses the bumper. She loves it, but for me it adds to much bulk and I lose the pocket-a-bility. Naked, the iPhone goes in and out of my pocket smoothly.

:)

9. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

The back glass is only 15-20$ to replace yourself if it gets too scratched or breaks... at that price, I am using my phone naked.

It was designed a certain way, to be used a certain way. I intend to do just that. No cases/protectors for me.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

does anyone remember the days when we had phones.. no cases and we didn't care if there was a small hairline scratch on it? :rolleyes:

pretty simple.. i use my iPhone without a case and i know the consequences (light scratches). do i care? no. wanna know why? cause cases suck and take away the sexiness from the phone.

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Well, it was designed to look good, not take a beating. I'd definitely put a clear back (and front) protector shield on it though.

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Go to Amazon.com....I bought 6 screen protectors for 0.73 cents with free shipping...I then bought 12 more plus some for the back of my iPhone! Worth every cent :D;):p:apple:

14. big samm macrumors 65816

The iPhone 4 is a exception... I mean I had many phone but never had one made of all glass until last year...

Got the free bumper but i can't stand it!! So I use the screen protector best skins ever front and back!
    That way my iPhone 4 stays sexy but also protected!!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk