iPhone 4 Back is Scratch Prone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kal525, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Kal525 macrumors newbie

Let me say one thing before I go on - this is a great phone. It feels great, it functions great, and it looks great... except for one thing - It is NOT scratch resistant.

I know people probably won't be excited to hear this; I definitely wasn't excited to discover it. But after just 2 days of babying my iPhone 4 I have discovered 2 scuff-like scratches on the back. Now when I say "babying" I mean only resting the phone on felt, carrying it around in a microfiber bag, and generally handling it as delicately as possible. I have no idea how these scratches are even possible given how carefully I was handling the phone, but I can't deny the facts.

I've attached a few images using a macro lens to show the damage up close so you can see and evaluate for yourselves. I should also add that the scratches become more visible if they have fingerprints and finger oil on them (the photos show them in a clean state).

Mild sharpening and contrast enhancements:

[​IMG]

Significant tonal contrast enhancement:

[​IMG]

The results should speak for themselves. Upon taking these photos I also noticed that the back of the iPhone 4 is not very uniform. It looks almost like an imperfectly machined surface rather than smooth glass. This of course may be because of the proximity of the lens to the phone, but it still leads me to believe that those of us who were thinking about keeping the phone "naked" and trusting in the scratch-proof claim put forth by Apple should think twice before doing so. It almost appears as though there is some coating over the glass which itself is what might be scratch prone.

So... is this the end of the world? Certainly not, but I figured I'd post to clear up some of the confusion that I've seen about how scratch-proof the iPhone really is. It clearly does not take throwing it against a wall or dropping it on the floor for it to get scratched. Take this advice for what it's worth and in the end remember one thing - it's just a phone :)

Attached Files:

2. lgrulz macrumors newbie

Wow I need a bigger monitor... That's not good did you have the bumpers on when that happened?

3. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

4. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

Holy **** those are big.... thats what she said?

5. dmx macrumors 6502a

Ouch.. those are brutal.

Has there been any confirmation on whether or not Apple is using Gorilla glass on the back? Reports say they are using it on the front but I don't even know if that has been confirmed.

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

What?! How in the world did you do this?

I can tell you i've put mine in my pocket bare for over 24 hours now, nothing like this.

Are you sure you even took off the plastic cover on this thing? It looks like you didn't.

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

The rate this is going, it might be a good idea to leave the plastic on

8. alana22 macrumors regular

There is no way microfiber or human flesh could cause abrasions on glass like that. Either someone (or a pet) did something to your iphone when you weren't looking, or you sleepwalked with it! Sucks though.

9. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

yeah good point! The whole back of that phone looks effed up! Because i've had mine in my pocket now too and the only scratches i have are little scuffs on the camera lens - which totally unaffects the camera anyway.

10. drober30 macrumors 6502a

You nailed it! The plastic is still on and that's how those plastic covers look when scratched.

11. Tee Hee macrumors member

12. sanders4617 macrumors member

You had to do something terrible to it.. Mine is perfect and have handled it like I usually would.

13. Kal525 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha - plastic still on? Really guys? The plastic is not still on, I don't have pets, and I do not sleep walk. Keep in mind that these scratches are barely visible except under the right light. I used a macro lens with very bright light and took the photo at an angle which would reveal the scratches. The point was to show the material of the iphone backing up close so as to gain a better understanding of what the surface actually looks like when scrutinized. It looks nowhere near as bad in practice. The main point still remains - the back of the iPhone 4 scratches easily, even if it may not be immediately visible to the naked eye. My worry is that over time the phone will be more likely to accumulate visible scratches. Take my analysis for what it's worth and make your own conclusions. I've tried to be as objective as possible.

14. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

"Barely visible except under the right light" and people are calling it "brutal"?

Hey, I have this invisible monkey who bothers me but only on Wednesdays and when I'm facing a North-Northeasterly direction. He doesn't actually do anything to me. He just stands there. He's invisible... so, technically, I can see right through him and he doesn't affect anything. But GOD why can't this effin' monkey leave me alone.

15. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

My back already has a big crack/scratch in it- I have not dropped it or hit it against anything. :(

16. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Maybe you should take better care of your phone?

17. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Please give us more photos, different angles, different lights etc... Also, don't enhance the photos.

18. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

19. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

That might be the best forum post I've ever read.

[​IMG]

Something rubbed against that phone, cloth and micro fiber would not do that.

20. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

seriously looks like you tried to rub it down with some kind of gritty sandpaper.

21. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

The solution is to apply some protective screen:)

22. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

think of it this way...you truly have a unique iPhone unlike anyone else in the universe. The grains are aligned in a way that is only unique to yours, and yours alone. No one can replicate the same depth of scratches and or style as yours.

hey post pics of the cloth you used to wipe it with.

was it bounty?

23. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Now you know why the smart people on these forums are waiting for the white version :D

24. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

Sandpaper:D

25. nowise macrumors member

I have scratched mine already on a piece of plastic in my car. Nowhere near as brutal as yours, but still disappointing.