iPhone 4 back replacement glass

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DawnM, May 31, 2013.

1. DawnM macrumors newbie

I dropped my iphone 4 and the back glass shattered. It was IN an Otterbox commuter case when it happened! :rolleyes:

I believe Apple can replace it for me for $29 (plus about $8 in gas!) I know I can get back glass online and do it myself for around $15.

I would like to sell the phone. Do you think people will want to see that an official Apple store/dealer replaced this instead of an owner or do you think it matters?

Otterbox said they can only reimburse me for the Otterbox itself upon me producing an original receipt of purchase. :( That receipt is almost 2 years old from the Sprint store and is long gone, so nothing will be reimbursed there.

But back to the question....do you think it matters who replaces the back glass?

Thank you,

Dawn

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Go to apple. The third party panels can effect the camera performance. But that's up to you

3. crucius macrumors regular

For such a small difference, why would you DIY? (yes, it's half the price but the replacement is cheap)

4. otismotive77 macrumors 6502

if the new back is of the same quality and if you can replace it like a pro, then i dont think it matters who replaced the glass.

5. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Did Apple quote you that $29 price? That's really cheap, why you would considering doing it yourself when you can have the assurance that it'll get done right with the original part?

6. DawnM thread starter macrumors newbie

Because it is about 40 min. each way to drive up there and if I do it myself I can just order the parts and get it shipped directly to my house.

Our Apple store is also always a zoo. Parking isn't close, they take forever to get to you, etc.....

Basically just a major hassle.