iPhone 4 backlight bleed?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SnowLeopard2008, Apr 23, 2011.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Is this worth taking to Apple? I arrowed the problem areas in the photos. The screen is an IPS panel, which has amazing viewing angles. But when looking at the screen from even a slight angle left or right, I see a band of white light along the edge. It's on the other edge (left edge of screen) too but that edge is slightly harder to see. It's more apparent on the right edge, towards the top and it tapers down to the bottom. This was a replacement unit when my prior iPhone's home button stopped working. I checked my friends' iPhone 4s and the screen is even under various viewing angles.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1,012.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1,020.7 KB
      Views:
  2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Mine is not like that at all and it is a 5K replacement. I would say yours isn't that bad. Trust me, you could get a lot worse in another replacement.

3. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

What do you mean by "5K"? I know I could get something worse but this bleed occurs on both sides. The pictures kind of dim it a little bit. My photography skills aren't too great haha. Do you think Apple will replace it for sure or is it kind of chancey? I don't want to drive 30 mins to and 30 mins back for nothing.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

5K are refurbs. Ive had 4 5Ks now and they have been pretty bad. The first 2 digits of the serial start with 5K.

Yes, Apple will replace it, trust me. I have gotten mine replaced 3 times for yellow tint on the screen. Call the Apple store first, and talk to them.

Just go in there and tell them that it gets worse while watching movies, or in low light rooms, and they will def replace it.

Edit-I'm not saying to lie, but from my experiences with light bleeding, they DO get worse in low light rooms or when the phone gets hotter from watching videos, ect.

5. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, I do notice it getting worse under low light conditions. I'll call them ask beforehand though. Thanks for the help!