iPhone 4 Ballistic SG Series Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TheBigKing, Nov 16, 2010.

1. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

2. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Cool! But I think I will stick with my OtterBox Commuter. After seeing Ballistic's video on it, it's just not as feature rich as the Commuter, although it probably does offer more protection.

3. TheBigKing thread starter macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

I have the commurer two the thing that i donk live is the silicone atracs dust really fast

4. iBrody macrumors 6502

The soft lip at the bottom of the case put me off buying the Otter Commuter.

I like the look of the Ballistic SG. Anyone got any idea whether the lip will be rigid? Not really any reviews/videos yet.

5. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

looks like a nice alternative to the otterbox

6. Milord macrumors newbie

I got mine yesterday and I'm very disappointed. The top and bottom are saggy and they barely come over the front glass of the iPhone. When I press the home button, the bottom moves down! And it's not like I have a giant thumb.

[​IMG]
    You can see in this picture there's a give at the bottom :
    [​IMG]

The inner shell (kind of silicone) is a dust magnet. The buttons are impossible to press and the finish quality is horrible : on my case, on top, there's a thin, irregular, line of silicone hanging out. It doesn't look good...

It's hard to see in this picture.
    [​IMG]

At least it feels great in the hand and it seems to be quite protective. But still, I'm disappointed!

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

8. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Damn, the saggy bottom looks horrible. That's another reason I like the Commuter. The outer shell has a bottom piece that locks the silicone in place so that it cannot sag, at all.

9. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

This case seemed to have potential...oh well.

10. tonysaur macrumors newbie

I just got my Ballistic SG a few days ago aswell in red. It does provide good protection and feels better in my hand. I was using a case-mate barely there case before this and it felt really awkward to use. I had to put my hand in claw mode to relieve the pressure from the pointy corners. The iphone 4 feels TOO small that my hand kind of cramps up using it, the square sides don't feel good either. This case solved the problem by adding some nice bulk and tappering down corners. It feels more "manly" in my hands and I can control it more comfortably without cramping.
    I haven't actually owned the Otterbox Defender but from the video reviews I've seen, on the sides, the hard plastic only locks part of the side silicone in place making it floppy towards the top and bottom of both sides. The Ballistic SG's hard plastic covers enough of the sides to keep the silicon from flopping around at all on the sides.

Negatives: The top of mine also had an ugly piece of silicone sticking out over the screen that obviously wasn't part of the design, this was easily fixed by picking it off with a fingernail or small scissors. The bottom lip of the case is saggy and floppy. I am thinking of cutting that sucker off... What do you all think?

Positives: It's got a nice soft lip on the the sides which are really secure due to the plastic sandwiching it to the aluminum band on the phone. I also like the soft/firm backing; it feels good in the hand and is resistant to slips.

Neutral: the top lock button if fine to hit, no complaints or compliments about that. The volume buttons, however, are a little harder to hit. This isn't a big problem for me though since I hardly ever use the volume buttons, I have a set of Klipsch S4i headphones that have volume controls on them. I would NOT recommend anyone to buy the Klipsch S4i's though because the build quality if pretty lame; there are rubber pieces splitting all over the place after I used them for 1 month.