iPhone 4 Battery Drain - FIXED!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onickjo, Jul 21, 2010.

1. onickjo macrumors newbie

I've had my iPhone 4 for about a week now. the battery was absolutely terrible the first few days. i would charge to 100%, close every app, also i would double click and close every app in the multitasker to make sure nothing was running in the backgroun and i would go to bed... 6 hours later all in standby it would be down to 60% battery.

also, last saturday i went out around 6pm with a full charge and by 2 am the battery was literally down to it's last breath. i guess during the week i did not notice how absolutely terrible it was because i am either at home or at work and always close to a charger.

so, before i went to the apple store, i did a little googling and concluded that most likely there were apps running in the background even though i would close all the apps including closing out the multitasking stuff. there must be an app that was corrupted, so i did a full reset and restored my phone as a new iphone, which ensured i brought over none of the old settings. i decided not to install any apps until testing the battery to see how it went

monday night i went from 100% charge to 96% overnight, i then did not charge at all during the day and was at 34% around 8pm. and last night i went from 100% charge to a .... 100% charge in the morning!!! so let's see how long this battery last today, but it seems like the reset got rid of the corrupted apps and i got my battery back.

i think the corrupted app was words with friends. as of last night, almost all my other apps were back on the phone and tonight's charge i will re-install words with friends and see if it still works.

anyways, hopefully that helps out some of you who are having terrible battery life.

2. headcheese macrumors regular

I've read that others had thought that words with friends had been an issue for them as well.

Also, when you get a new iPhone, DO NOT use an old backup!! This has been discussed ad nauseum...you never want to bring all your old "problems" over to a new phone.

Glad it's gotten better for you! If you see any more issues, after you've tried everything, take it to a Genius. I did, and I had a faulty battery :eek:

3. Savor Suspended

Savor

I backed up without the old one because my laptop died on me and needed to completely start from scratch from another person's laptop. Thank goodness the pair of screws exist there. Not just to replace the back easily, but also that battery. I could use this gadget for a decade if I wanted to!

My battery life have always been excellent for me so far. After a full charge at midnight, played a few rounds of Big 2 right before I went to sleep. Lasted five minutes. Put airplane mode on, and the battery is still at 100% after 10 hours.

I can browse free wifi at Borders with only 40% batt life and still not worry about it because I know that is more than enough to surf the web for a couple hours. Every other night is when I charge it. As long as I have about 45-60% juice left for the next day, my iPhone 4 doesn't need charging every day like my 2G or iPod touch does.

4. S Brake macrumors regular

I tried searching and couldn't find much, what is the best way to set up the new phone and keep all contacts, etc?

5. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

You can restore from a backup fine, but make sure you go to settings-general-reset- reset all settings, and it's just like NOT restoring from a backup, and you can keep your sms and call logs.

6. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Brilliant!!!

I have been saying this in thread after thread and no one seems to listen. Most of the issues (not the antena but others) Proximity sensor, battery life, and others are from RESTORING FROM BACKUP. I always set up as new and NEVER have a problem.....

7. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I want to try this, but I don't want to lose my Angry Birds stuff! I did the reset all settings and it seemed a little better. I wish you could just save data from certain apps

8. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I know it does work for some, it didn't for me.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

+42

I always hammer in the Restore as New.

10. blazinz macrumors regular

Can we get a step by step as to what exactly your doing. Is this through using iTunes setup or on the phone itself and lastly im not so concerned with apps as i am with contacts and emails being lost. someone explain ..:confused:

Thanks in advance!!

11. mrmicp macrumors member

Don't suppose you have mobile me? I wouldn't be without it now as I have done a full restore a couple of times then I just connect into my mobile me account and across come my emails, contacts and calender events. Makes life a lot easier having all that stuff in 3 places (iMac, Online and iPhone)

What I would like to see is the ability to backup your app data so when you copy the app back across or you do a full restore you don't have to keep on starting at level 1 of angry birds etc.....:(

12. og1 macrumors regular

YES- iTunes definitely needs a backup app data only option or something of the sort. This singlehandedly makes me hate setting up as new. grrrr