iPhone 4 Battery Drain Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Brokebroker83, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Brokebroker83 macrumors member

Hi

I have attached the pictures below to show my battery drain. As you can see my jailbroken iPhone 4 loses around 9% battery in 27 minutes. Is this normal or do I have a defective phone. This is my third replacement (first one Speaker issues — Second one GPS did not work) and I am getting tired of going back to the apple store.

What do you guys think? Is this normal? All I was doing on the phone was looking at some RSS feeds for a few minutes and the other was just arranging some icons.

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altisimages/4895131673/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/altisimages/4895727354/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/altisimages/4895131791/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/altisimages/4895131865/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/altisimages/4895727550/

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

lots of people having the same issue (me, for instance).
    visit the iPhone Hacks forum here to see the discussions on this...

3. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member

Hi I looked but didnt find any discussion with any conclusive point being drawn. Could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

4. monty23 macrumors newbie

Iphone battery drain..last 3hr 12mins with 10% remianing

:eek:mine got used up 90% with in 3 hrs 12 mins
    it's the 2nd time its happening after got my iPhone 4. i already took it to apple store and the genius said that the restore didn't happen properly, i even check to c if there was any appps in the background, but there seemed to be none, i think it's probable because the iphone cant grab enough 3g signal it must be draining the battery by trying to search for better signal all the time, i have to prove this theory yet...lets c... but i still think that iPhone 4 has some serious problems, i am still with in the 30 day period of my upgrade, i am going to return it back once i check turning of the 3g and restoring manually, very disappointed with apple for the first time.

pb:eek:

5. RedPlanet macrumors newbie

different drain after imac or socket charging....

Just have my iPhone 4 for a week or so. The drain was exceptional. Even with no running processes and absolutely no use it would drain faster then my iPhone 3 (!) while being in full service with texting, phoning, internet and mailing. With this drain the phone is not usable for me.. It drained overnight from 80% to almost 0 just laying on the table in the living room in standby mode... This was so bad I decided to bring it back... Anyway I found that charging took a lot longer too (much longer then my old iPhone 3g) My guess is 3 times as long (1 vs 3 hours). I decided to charge it via the adapter instead of via my 2008 imac. Charging was done in 1 hour suddenly... But more curiously it drains much slower now. It now drained 40% of my charge after 9 hours with moderate usage. (NB even at this rate and usage I am curious to see if the battery can give me the comfort feeling that it will last me one full and busy business day while traveling...)

I can not explain why it would drain slower when charged to 100% via my imac as opposed to 100% via the adapter. But obviously the change is dramatic.

RedPlanet

6. DaveAmbler macrumors member

DaveAmbler

Dunno what you guys are doing or running... but phone has been sitting on my desk at work, used during break times (probably around 30 mins of usage) and I am sitting at 95% charge still.

Your phone jailbroken? Mine isn't - maybe that is the difference.

7. revirus macrumors member

revirus

Nope. That is not the difference.

Mine Jailbroken and has great battery since I simply turn off 3G, bluetooth, and Location by simply clicking SBSettings at work.
    I am getting 96-97% after about 8-9 hrs with 5-6 min calls, lots of mail checking and some of web browsing.

By turning off 3G connection, your battery will last much longer. It's official cuz Apple said so. If you have JB iPhone, it's 2-3 clicks away.

8. RedPlanet macrumors newbie

it is getting more and more curious on my side

(not jail-broken) Yesterday after changing to charging via socket (see above post) my drain was pretty consistent at 5% every hour with very moderate use. When I left it in standby overnight it fell another 20% in standby mode. Today after again a new full charge via the socket adapter, with only light/moderate use I now have only 1% drain per hour... The phone is improving by the day...

I do not understand what is happening here, even though I welcome the much needed improvement.

PS I did not change settings, fetching email every hour, killing multitasks all the time.