iPhone 4...battery drains while on standby

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GCY, Oct 10, 2010.

1. GCY macrumors regular

I recently just acquired the iPhone 4. It is running firmware 4.0 and I jailbreak it using jailbreakme. The phone doesn't even have an activated sim card, push notifications is turn off. All I have is the wifi on.

Since the last time it fully charged, I used it for 15 minutes and it standby for around 24 hrs. The battery is down to 20%. Anyone whats going on?

2. celticpride678

Persistent Wi-Fi - it's a feature in iOS 4 which will keep Wi-Fi on even if the device is asleep.

Try turning off Email push and fetching.

3. GCY thread starter macrumors regular

email fetching is also off. On my 3gs, the wifi is always on and I never have any problems with battery draining on standby.

4. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I have a standby draining problem too and I finally isolated to wifi. When I turn wifi off it drains 3% during night. With it on it drains 12%. and yes I did try turning notifications off with wifi on and it stills drains ~12%

5. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Simple.. Double click that round home button on the bottom and turn off all running programs that you do not need.;) Hold finger on each application that could be consuming a lot of power and turn it off one by one. I usually leave the basic like contacts,calendar and SMS running since they don't really use up much power but if you have any applications like Beejive or Skype running or even bloomberg that is constantly updating you will see your battery drain quite quickly.

6. seifer333 macrumors member

I found something similar yesterday too. Last night when I went to bed I had usage time of 5 hours and battery at 55%. This morning I woke up the usage time is 15 hours and battery at 30%.

I had lots of app opened and I don't know what's causing it. Wifi is turned off. Email fetching is not an issue because I always have it on hourly basis and this doesn't happen all the time.

I'm thinking it's ipod because I don't listen to it very often and I just happened to use it yesterday.

Right now I've closed all the apps and recharged the battery. I'll do some more test tonight again.

For those who keep saying "multi-tasking" doesn't drain battery, well it does. I just saw it. I just don't know which app is continuously "on"

7. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I noticed this problem for the first time since installing and using FourSquare. I've quit it from the multitask bar, hope that helps.

We should start a list of apps that we suspect might be draining out batteries!

Any chance that the actual battery is not performing as it should?

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What I started doing and have experienced way better battery life is I keep wifi and 3G off and only turn them on when I need to.

Marc

9. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I found that turning WiFi off usually solves that. Even leaving just Edge on is sufficient for any nighttime emails