iPhone 4 battery issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mszpara, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mszpara macrumors regular

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here is experiencing any iPhone 4 battery related issues?
    Not really sure if this is an issue yet or not but...

I got my phone yesterday, plugged in, charged fully (it was at 98% out of the box) so at about 8pm I had a 100% charge.

Woke up this morning and went to work, at about 9am it was still at ~80%, but 3 hours later at noon it was all the way down to ~30%. I didn't use it very heavily to justify that kind of drain.
    I'm going to let it power cycle then get a full charge and see how it acts before I take any actual action, but I was just curious to see if anyone saw something similar?

LOVING the phone by the way! THANKS!!

2. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Interesting, I have over a day (26 hours) of standby and over 6 hours (6 hours 42 minutes) of use and I still have 20% left. I'm loving it!

3. SarahLovesMac macrumors newbie

SarahLovesMac

Battery

I'm a little concerned....almost 2 hour usage....7 hour standby. I'm at 77%? Does that sound right? How do you know if you have another App running in the background??

4. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Oh, and I have Meebo "running" in the background as well. Damn do I love this phone!

5. Puma559 macrumors newbie

40 mins usage and 2 hours stand by and I'm at 91%. I have wifi off and the brightness turned down.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

why don't you guys wait, and post a full cycle's usage? basing the whole battery life on the first 20 or 30% usage isn't a very good basis. use the phone for a week and see what you get out of a FULL charge, then report the numbers.

7. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

3 hours usage, 7 hours standby, and i'm down to 55%.

Sod this new bloody thing!

8. JamesHP macrumors 6502

I unplugged my phone at 7am and the battery lasted until 5pm with quite heavy use. It's certainly streets ahead of the 3GS in this department, but I'm just doing the first battery calibration on it now since it's the first time I've run it down completely since I got it.

9. cfairbank macrumors 6502

1 hr 59 min of usage and 9 hrs 3 min of standby and I am at 78%. Using safari a couple of calls, checking email.

10. dmx macrumors 6502a

Compared to my 3GS, I've found the battery to be great. It definitely doesn't seem to drain as quickly.

11. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Oh, and I have WiFi and Bluetooth on at the same time. I've had about 5-6 10 minute calls, browsed the web a bit, played some games, texted, chatted on Meebo, listened to music over Bluetooth, checked email, etc. Right now I'm at 18% battery with 27 hours standby, and 6 hours 48 minutes usage. Hands down better than my 3GS.

12. chiefvb macrumors newbie

I am having similar issues with the battery its just not lasting long at all it seems.

13. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

These are my numbers. I must say, I'm not really impressed with my battery right now. Are these numbers normal?

Brightness is as the phone comes out of the box with Auto-Brightness on.
    I don't Push emails, but do have Google Sync for contacts (could this be it?)
    No Bluetooth on.
    I've made 4-5 calls that lasted no more than 5 minutes each.
    I do text quite a bit.
    I play Words With Friends regularly and tweet on occasion.
    I don't keep any apps running in the background.
    Haven't used the iPod app at all.
    Showed a couple of videos to my friends.
    Watched YouTube.

That summarizes my day. Does all this justify the battery drainage? I'm just not quite sure that it does. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

14. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

My reception has been spotty but the battery has been amazing. I got my phone yesterday morning and I'm still trying to drain the battery to zero so I can do a full re-charge. I'm at 18% right now.. getting there.

15. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

16. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Im not really sure what to think at the moment so you guys tell me. Unsure what numbers are good and bad...

Started out this am at 11am with 100% charge. Its now 230 and I have 85%. It states usage only 57 minutes and standby 2 hrs and 30 min. I have been texting and playing with the phone. Push is on for one email account only but not sure if that is right. One part states manually but the then push is on. WIFI is Off but have had it on brief to show friends face time for approx 3-4 min.

To me no different than 3gs at the moment

17. Puma559 macrumors newbie

I compared my phone to my girlfriends 3G and she has double the standby and usage and her battery level is the same as my iPhone 4.

18. tsmithgolf2000 macrumors regular

My first charge ran down rather quickly and I let it completely die and then I charged it up to 100% again and it's been much better. I have lost 20% since about 7:00 am this morning which as been about 9 hours with intermediate use of browsing/emails/messaging.

19. ryuuzaki macrumors member

ryuuzaki

2 hours and 6 minutes of usage, and 4 hours and 31 minutes of standby and I am at 82%.

I am averaging about 1% every 10 minutes. This changes when I use the phone to probably 9 or 8 minutes per percent.

I find that by restoring my phone from new gave me some battery life improvement. I originally had restored from my 3G backup. A few others have contested that doing so also helped with battery.

20. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I find the opposite, I restored from my 3GS backup, and am getting amazing battery life. I'm now down to 16%, with 6 hours 54 minutes of usage, with 28 hours standby. Awesome!

21. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm will have to continue to watch and see I dont use mine constantly

22. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

You need to calibrate the battery reader.

This is why you charge it to 100% when you get it, then run it down completely. This gives it one full cycle, so that the % that is displayed actually represents the phone's battery.

23. Built macrumors 68020

No battery issues here.

Received my i4 via Fedex at 11:55 AM PDT on 6/23. Plugged it in to my computer just long enough to activate (about 30 seconds), and to sync up with iTunes.

Played with it for a full day and a half...Still on the original charge out of the box.

I ended up turning up the brightness last night because I needed to bring it to zero, so that I could then charge it to 100...and started playing playlist videos until it died at about 6:00 AM. I then charged it up fully...and it charged up FAST...

GREAT battery life.

24. mangohippo macrumors member

I don't have the exact numbers but I haven't charged mine since the initial 100% full charge. That was a day and a half ago, still sitting around 50%. Most of that time was in standby.

25. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

This battery seems to stand up to Apple numbers which normally isn't true.