iPhone 4, battery life, and spinning BT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sawxray, Jun 29, 2010.

1. sawxray macrumors newbie

I have had so-so battery life with my new iPhone 4, similar to many others.

I have been trying to dig into the issue within my settings. I have noticed that when i am not at either car (two cars each have an automatic connection to my BT), and when I do not have my BT earpiece turned on, my iPhone has a spinning gear in the Settings>General>Bluetooth window (each of the devices is listed, with 'Not Connected').

So I have a few questions for the resident macrumors mavens (MacRavens...?):

1. Is this 'searching' normal?
    2. Should I always turn on my BT earpiece so the iPhone stops searching?
    3. Does this searching use up much battery by itself, especially compared to the energy lost in using the earpiece?
    4. Does the earpiece use up much battery if I am not talking on it? In other words, do I gain an advantage by leaving the BT earpiece connected to stop the searching, even though I don't use the phone/earpiece more than an hour and a half to two hours each day?
    5. Would this searching for a device stop if I reset all settings? How about if I delete each BT item and reinstall each? Do I need to do a 'nuclear' restore to new?

Thanks in advance!

2. sawxray thread starter macrumors newbie

Still spinning...

Yesterday I turned off my BT, and the battery life was SIGNIFICANTLY longer-

about 6:45 of usage, and 24 hours of standby until it shut down.

So my question to you all remains: Does the spinning gear in Settings>General>Bluetooth, next to 'Devices', persist?

If this is not normal, is there a way to cease it?

Thanks~

3. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Power Suck

I get great usage as long as I manage my bluetooth conections. Noticable difference when using a bluetooth. Also when there are multiple devices listed it takes it down a bit more. I delete them. The difference for me is the matter of a few hours, but with the device connected I still can manage 3 -4 hours of usage maybe a 1 hour of bluetooth and still get 16-17 hours on standby.

4. sawxray thread starter macrumors newbie

So....

That means my spinning gear by 'Devices' is abnormal?

Or normal?

Mine is always spinning, whether I am connected to a BT device or not.

My question more revolves around whether I have a bad setting, or whether this is an abnormality that nobody else with good battery life has. I would not like to keep BT disabled all the time if I don't have to.

Experience with the spinning gear?