iPhone 4 battery life benchmarks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by colourtheatre, Aug 8, 2010.

1. colourtheatre macrumors regular

hi everyone,

i just thought some people might be interested to perform some benchmark tests including usage and standby times so for those interested, this will help us do some sort of comparison i guess?

my setup: 3G on all the time, wifi off, notification off, push off, location on, autobrightness off, brightness at around 20%, jailbroken

light browsing: 3 – 4 minutes on average per 1%

intense downloading of apps and lots of email downloads: 2 – 3 minutes per 1%

usage: 29% with 4 hours and 36 minutes usage/1 day and 14 hours standby based on light browsing, email checking, phone calls, text, and alarm clock

couldn't really test out gaming yet but i'll post it when i get to test it

2. feddy84 macrumors member

atm im at 6%.
    7 hours 30 minute program + 1 hour 10 min music playing.
    1 day 7 hours standby.
    notifications off. wifi on, brightness 25%, jailbroken without sbsettings

usage is at checking we farm we rule and for about 1 hour
    1 hour video throu air video while streaming through wifi (brightness 40%)
    the rest is angry birds and osmos and things like that.

3. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

20% life left. 6hrs 24 min usage, 22hrs 44 min standby.

Wifi web browsing, pandora, some games, and some texting.

Wifi on only when I need it, Bt off, 50% brightness, push off.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

My very conservative use netted me:

Usage 10 hours
    Standby 2 days 2 hours

5. feddy84 macrumors member

you realy should post how much of that is music playing since music drains like 0% battery

6. SmackP macrumors member

Your 3-4 min per % sounds EXACTLY like my iPhone 4.

Here's an interesting one though:

1. Wifi, phone, BT, location services all OFF [airplane mode].
    2. Soft reset the phone fully charged and left it overnight.

After 10 hours standby and 0 usage it dropped to 82%!

That's 18% drop with no radio or tasks!

Can anyone else try the same?

To compare, my iPhone 3G lost only 5-10% over two days WITH phone on!

7. elie.fares macrumors regular

Usage: 8 hours 41 min
    standby: 3 days 15 min

Battery % remaining: 33%

My use comprised of wi-fi browsing, facebook and twitter, along with angry birds and other games, camera use, flashlight using LED, iBooks, etc..

I synced the iPhone once to add a few songs on it and whatnot but immediately removed it after syncing it.

8. Slithers96 macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me, except mine also drained battery while the phone was powered off. I went and got it replaced. Take a screen shot with it fully charged and then turn it off overnight, turn it on when you wake up and take another screen shot. I had to do that because the first couple times I went, they kept running tests on it saying the battery was normal so they wouldn't do it. It did help though that the 3rd time I went that I got someone cool and the previous two "geniuses" were tool bags.

9. SmackP macrumors member

and was your replacement better or the same?

10. Slithers96 macrumors newbie

I believe it is better now, but I haven't really tested it out while off or on airplane mode as of late. When I first got my replacement, I left it on airplane mode for like 6 hours and it didn't drop a percentage point at all, but that was like almost a month ago. Today I took it off the charger and it went down to like 98% in only an hour of being on (I only sent a couple of text messages out), and then I turned it off, turned it back on and it was back to 100%. This new iOS sure has issues figuring out how much battery life it really does have left it seems.

11. SmackP macrumors member

it's really funny you say that because exactly the same thing happened to me today as I was testing out the battery drain in airplane mode after a full reset.

it jumped from 99% back to 100% and after 3 hours it's lost 4% even though it's in airplane mode.

It seems we are getting the exact same results.

12. colourtheatre thread starter macrumors regular

@SmackP the most drain i got so far from leaving the iPhone overnight was 10% for around 8 - 9 hours (this is with 3g on) but in airplane mode, i got around 3 - 5 % drain. 12% is a lot but it seems your battery drain fixed the issue?

i also noticed that with my iDevices, upon overnight charge to 100%, the initial drop from 100% to 99% takes a while longer which is pretty nice. usually get like roughly 15 minutes usage on those when browsing the internet on 3g.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

One hour.

14. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

Those who are draining during standby need to say whether push email or notifications are on. These both will drain 10% overnight on average.

15. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

There should be a list drawn up which you can check off to make sure everyone has the same stuff on

16. colourtheatre thread starter macrumors regular

17. trssho macrumors 6502

I think the test should be run using a standardized test where all "backgound" apps are closed, iP4 diectly off charger, the turn on some free high energy demand app, like maps w/ gps. Brightness at 100% etc etc. Then run this app for 1 hour, then report where the batt % is at. This would be the best way to standardize the test.

18. colourtheatre thread starter macrumors regular

that's a good suggestion. i guess we can try that as well concurrently with the survey. got 11 responses including mine so far. results varrying and rather surprising. please view the attachments. ps: there was one user on 3g with 12 hours usage. amazing!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      35.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg