iPhone 4... Battery life same as 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joco, Jun 29, 2010.

1. joco macrumors member

So I thought with a bigger battery we'd be getting better battery life. Not so for me. After a few days of normal use, I get about the same life on the IP4 battery as the IP3GS.

Anyone having similar experience?

Joe

2. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Well, the screen is higher dpi... and if you have signal issues, with 3G enabled that equals high power transmission trying to get better signal.

3. raremage macrumors 6502a

Nope. Much much better for me. I read another thread where someone did a hard reset of the phone and that made a huge difference for them, increasing the battery life significantly.

4. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I haven't noticed any difference in battery life with my iPhone 4.
    OS 4 must be a battery vampire.
    I kind of was expecting the iPad experience where you really don't even think about recharging.
    With the phone, I always have to think about plugging it in.

5. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Have the same problem here.
    My battery goes down 1% every 3 min. so my phone will only last like 6 hours. I'm going to the Genius Bar to see what's up because I already restored once and did a reset

6. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

7. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

My iPhone 4 is much worse than my 3GS when it comes to battery life.

8. diabolic macrumors 68000

I'm getting significantly better battery life than I did with the 3GS as well.

9. apprunner macrumors regular

I got 8 hours of usage in my phone lasted a full 24 hours before a recharge. During those 8 hours, a good 5 hours was pure web surfing. Other was games and videos.

WAAAAAAAY better than 3GS.

10. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

My batter life is much better with the iPhone 4. Right now I'm at 5 hours 15 minutes of usage (most of which has been streaming music) and 6 hours and 50 minutes of standby and my battery is at 54%. My 3GS would be below 20% by now. I can stream music all day at work and my phone won't die before I get home. My 3GS would never last that long.

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

If you have battery issues its more likely a issue from upgrading the phone settings from your previous phone.

Reset all settings under Settings->General->Reset and that should fix most issues - your apps and sms's will remain in tact.

12. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

My meter wasn't correct until I ran it down to < 10%.

I think this is pretty important to do.

Before I did that, it 'said' that it was draining faster than normal.

13. RITmusic2k macrumors member

RITmusic2k

My year-old 3Gs would often not last a full day with heavy use - and this was with diligent power-management (leaving BT, wifi, and even 3G in some cases, turned off when not needed).

When I received my iPhone 4, I turned all antennas on. I'm running BT, wifi & 3G constantly and using the phone just as heavily, with my screen on a slightly higher brightness than I used on my 3Gs, and the new one has never gone below 30% under heavy usage. Average days go by and the phone still has between 40%-60% left by the time I get to bed. Some of this is due to the fact that the phone and battery are brand new with only a handful of discharge cycles under their belt... but considering all the extra load I'm applying, when all is in good working order the new phone clearly shows better longevity.

14. tritonj macrumors 6502a

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Depends on your settings, but I seem to think mine was getting better, however one little thing I noticed is I had to turn the brightness up to 50% for it to look like the brightness on my 3GS at about 30%

Strange issue with the Brightness

16. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Last night was the first time since I had the phone that I had the chance to do a full battery cycle.
    I let the phone completely run out of battery power.
    Hooked it up to the charger.
    Then turned it off, leaving it plugged in for the night.
    This morning, I may have had it on 2 minutes and it was already at 98%.

The iPad takes like 1/2 hour before it leaves 100% town.

Maybe one reason they are staying away from iPad OS4 until November.

Also, I set this up as a brand new phone and never restored from my 3GS backup.