IPhone 4 battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacDaddy80, Jul 10, 2011.

1. MacDaddy80 macrumors member

Hey guys i just got a verizon iphone 4 yesterday the battery was full charge and it went down to 83% in a matter of 30 mins. I had it on full brightness and i had wifi on but only one bar of cell service. Right now as im typing this i have full bars cell service and 3g. Is was 95 when i started the post now its at 93 is this normal?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Brightness and WiFi 'searching' are both definite battery drains
    Also check your notifications and Push

3. MacDaddy80 thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks and just now i was deleting a couple apps and the battery went from 92 to 87 is this normal idk?

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I've been struggling with this the last week too - and with data usage.

I've always had my mobileme set to push on my ipad - it never seemed to impact battery life, so it does more on the iphone? I've gotten spoiled....

I'd like to have an indoor brightness setting, and an outdoor. Indoor i find it too bright (i run my ipad all the way down), but then i forget and can't use it in the car! Which brings me to... why doesn't the iPhone have the brightness in the double-click home thing? I keep doing that.... UGH! LOL!!

I don't want notifications for most things, if i leave them "on", but then turn off for each app does that work?

I thought i had my phone set up the same as my iPad, but i'd used 250mb of data since late January on my iPad, and in 8 days on my iPhone i've used 703mb without using any streaming music, and about 45 minutes of NASAtv on Friday! It makes me very happy i have unlimited - but gee, what is sucking the data up?? I'm at home with wifi 80% of the time by my guess.

I"ve been unplugged for apparently 1h 29m, and its been used for 37m and i'm down to 94%. I'm sitting next to my wifi router and have 3 bars of service.

I'm just very thankful that my daughter minded me i had a car cord for my touch - because i'd be in trouble on tuesday going out of town for the day!!

Thanks for any other tips to try to extend it out.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Set your brightness to about 50% and turn auto on.

6. MacDaddy80 thread starter macrumors member

ive had usage for 35 mins and its down to 87

7. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

My iPhone 4 can last for a few days with light to moderate usage. I have my brightness at about 35% with autobrightness on and WiFi off when I'm not using it. I also turn off 3G and use EDGE.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

9. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Drain it to 0 and see how long it lasted. The battery % is not accurate at all

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Thanks - and i'm going to email that to my parents.

I was already doing most of those it looks like, except having my mobileme email push. Not that i have any email left in there after whatever it was that happened yesterday.... UGH.

I did lower the brightness more and turn auto back on.

I think that i'm on a brain overload moment with the mail fiasco and need to not try anything major (not on the phone, on the kids computer) like what i'm doing. Maybe i'll go back to bed and dream of a sandy beach and a frothy drink! :D

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Brightness is the biggest battery sucker on the iPad, i'm assuming it is the same on the iPhone (it was on my Touch too).

I'm currently sitting at about 25% on it i think.....

12. MacDaddy80 thread starter macrumors member

this is how long it lasted is that good?

Attached Files:

13. forcetactic macrumors 6502

That could be pretty decent battery life depending on what you did during those 6 hours. The battery tends to drain faster when you're at low signal + it wasn't drained all the way.

Try it for a few weeks and see

14. MacDaddy80 thread starter macrumors member

during those six hours i had brightness on full i took some pics listened to like 30 mins of music and did alot of texting and facebook i hd a full signal for about half the time but when it got to 40 percent i had like 2 bars so is this good?

15. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

That's pretty normal looking to me...because of the full brightness for 6 hours.

Keep brightness at 50%, turn off auto-brightness. Auto brightness wastes a ton of battery! As will 100% brightness.

Turn off "Ask to Join Networks" in Wifi settings.

I just switched back to my iPhone 4 from Android (HTC Inspire 4G) and I am very happy to be back to the battery life of the iPhone. It lasts me 1 and a half days without a charge. The Inspire barely lasted me half a day. >_<

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The full brightness will kill ya, trust us on that....

I feel better, I left mine at 95% last night and it was 91% this morning. That left me with 50 minutes of use and 16+ hours of standby, leaving my email on push (not that I got anything).

Also, looking at the screen shot you are on 1x, are you normally on that or is it seeking 3G and bounce? That could lower it, week signals seeking can zap most phones.

But I think if you lower the brightness to at least 50 will you see a decent jump and be happy.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Obsessively checking your phone for battery usage will drain your battery faster.

18. AnodizedFish macrumors member

This! :apple::apple:

19. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Today is better.....

Usage 3h 20m
    Standby 9h 41 min

An hour of talk it looks like, and 20 minutes of wifi personal hotspot.

And I'm only down to 59%.

As long as I can make it the day with an hour or so of talk and then have standby time I should be ok. Tomorrow will be my first road trip, and I know I will be in non-3G areas for ATT so I'm hoping Verizon has service for hotspot use. Thankfully, i have a car cord!

OP, hope yours is going better today!