iPhone 4 battery problem when traveling abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by that user, Jan 4, 2011.

1. that user macrumors member

I have an AT&T iPhone 4 and I charge it every other day.

I recently took a trip to Turkey and had my AT&T iPhone with me. I did not use it for any calls. I had reception from the local provider just in case. I had roaming and 3G off the entire time but I did have it connected to the hotel's wireless.

The problem I was experiencing was that the battery would drain way too quickly. I would have 60% of the battery before bed and when I wake up 7 hours later it would be totally drained. I had to charge it at least once a day.

I am back in the US now and the issue is gone. I have 3G on and it's constantly connected to the wireless either at home or work. Last night I had 60% of the battery and I still had about 50% in the morning.

Is it a known problem that the battery drains quicker when traveling abroad? Is this expected?

2. jer9542 macrumors member

ya its a known issue. steve jobs said it himself that he drains iphone batteries when you are not in the u.s.

3. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Helpful. ***hole...

Anyways OP. Try restoring the phone. But with all due honesty, 7 hours on a single charge sounds pretty damn good to me. I have to charge my phone at least once a day, so I dont think you're running into anything out of the ordinary...

4. CZK macrumors 6502a

Actually lol'd

5. jacollins macrumors 6502a

At this point, it's hard to say. If there were some major problem like that, I'd assume we'd have heard about it by now since there's tons of iPhones overseas (and they're all the same, there's not a different model for over there vs over here).

If you were still over there, I'd say do the usual. Put it in airplane mode, reboot the phone, etc.