Iphone 4 battery question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aduteau, Oct 8, 2011.

1. aduteau macrumors 6502a

Hi guys, I just preordered my first ever iPhone ( the 4S ), and because its mainly like the iPhone 4 ... How's the battery life on the iPhone 4 .. Is it really as good as the specs on the Apple web site ??

Putting the phone on standby with 3G turned on .. How long does it last ??

And how many charges can it take before I see a drop in battery life ??

Thx for letting me know guys :)

2. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I have had my iPhone 4 since launch day and I have found the battery life fantastic. I cannot be sure how long it lasts in 3G standby since I have Wifi at home and at the office, so I am only on 3G while I am out. I updated the iOS 5 GM and the battery life seems at least as good, in fact on iOS 5 it is even better with PUSH enabled than I found on iOS 4.

I'm pretty sure like all such batteries it diminishes to 80% of it's total capacity after 300 charges.

3. aduteau thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow ... So for a heavy user who would charge it every day ... The battery life would get to 80% of the original after a year ? ( im new in the smartphone world ) is this average ?

4. speed4tu macrumors member

The battery life on my iPhone 4 is fantastic. I can make it through a day of heavy use along with watching videos for an hour or so and still have 30% or so left after 18 hours. Light use leaves me with 80-85% after that amout of time

5. aduteau thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if I use the iPhone with heavy use every day, I would probably end up charging it at night ... If I do that for a full year .. Then the battery life will start to drop ?

Have any of you used your iPhone 4 for a year with heavy use almost every day and charged it almost every night ?? How is the battery life after one year ? Did it drop .. Or do you see the same quality as before ?

6. Picka macrumors member

I'd say that is about average. Battery's naturally lose their charge the more you use them. You can always get the battery replaced after a while at a repair shop, or simply buy a new one if you use an Android phone.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

You can't compare the 4 to the 4S. They may look the same on the outside but inside they are very different. The latter has a faster CPU and GPU plus a better camera with higher resolutioncapabilities. Therefore the battery life on the former is not indicative of what we will get on the latter.

8. nelford87 macrumors newbie

Was anything mentioned about the battery life on the 4s? My 3Gs battery is terrible at the moment and I'm guessing it'll drain quick on the 4s too.

9. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

No one knows yet.

11. Picka macrumors member

From the official release, it's less on Standby, but a bit more while calling. Either way it won't be significantly different from the previous version.

12. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Realistically you can get between 12 hours and 5 days depending on use, signal strength and weather you have push enabled. I get 3 days between charges with minimal use but 4 email accounts being checked at whatever the quickest option is (15 mins??).

Head to work where I have VERY poor signal and I get 24hrs max, and thats 10% loss at home in 12hrs, and 60% loss in 12hrs at work with 0 to 1 bar of signal.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

The official release stats have no bearing on real world use. You can't assume just because that's what Apple has stated that's what it will be in reality.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You are already freaking out before you even get the 4S. The battery will be fine and you will notice no degradation in battery life even after a year. If you do not relax you are going to ruin the experience with all the worry.

All will be good if you put your phone on charge while you sleep. Maybe for the first week you might need to top of during the day but that is only because you can not keep your hands off your "toy".

I do not think Apple will disappoint:)