Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NyYaNkEeFaN95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hello, Apple just replaced my iPhone 4 due to a hardware issue. The replacement phone is refurbished but works like its brand new. My only concern is the battery. I feel that it is draining to quick. This morning i restored it to 4.3.5 and set it up as a new iPhone. I charged it to 100% and started to play apples latest keynote. I attached some screen shots of my percentage, cellular data usage and time spent using the phone and standby. I also included a screen shot of the keynote from where i stopped watching it. Can someone please tell me if my battery is normal. No other settings were changed, no mail is setup. Immediately after the clean restore i opened safari and started the video.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    102.2 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0003.PNG
    IMG_0003.PNG
    177.7 KB · Views: 119

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Streaming video off 3g is one of the most battery intensive things you can do. The phone has to use its radio to download the video, it has to use its processor to decompress the video, it has to use its speakers to play the audio, and it has to use its display to show the video. Most other tasks don't use those 4 parts of the phone all at once.

NyYaNkEeFaN95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island, NY
Streaming video off 3g is one of the most battery intensive things you can do. The phone has to use its radio to download the video, it has to use its processor to decompress the video, it has to use its speakers to play the audio, and it has to use its display to show the video. Most other tasks don't use those 4 parts of the phone all at once.

Soooooooooooooooooo is my battery good? :D

staeit

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
Soooooooooooooooooo is my battery good? :D
Is this how you are going to typically use it? Cause in my experience, I use my iPhone 4 to text, email, make calls, watch the odd video (usually stored locally), play some games, and a fair bit of idle time - I don't use it much while I'm at work. I mean, as Daniel L said, you are using many of the most draining functions on the iPhone. I believe that iPhone 4 3G BROWSING (which is less intensive because you aren't constantly downloading data while browsing, and the screen is much more static) rated battery life is 7 hours. It looks like you did 3G video watching for 1.75 hours, and you have dropped to 66% or roughly a third. Multiply this 1.75 hours by 3 and you extrapolate to the time it would take to drain the battery completely - 5.25 hours. Given that the rated battery life for browsing on 3G is 7 hours, and what you are doing is a fair bit more intensive, I'd say the battery is probably just fine

NyYaNkEeFaN95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island, NY
Is this how you are going to typically use it? Cause in my experience, I use my iPhone 4 to text, email, make calls, watch the odd video (usually stored locally), play some games, and a fair bit of idle time - I don't use it much while I'm at work. I mean, as Daniel L said, you are using many of the most draining functions on the iPhone. I believe that iPhone 4 3G BROWSING (which is less intensive because you aren't constantly downloading data while browsing, and the screen is much more static) rated battery life is 7 hours. It looks like you did 3G video watching for 1.75 hours, and you have dropped to 66% or roughly a third. Multiply this 1.75 hours by 3 and you extrapolate to the time it would take to drain the battery completely - 5.25 hours. Given that the rated battery life for browsing on 3G is 7 hours, and what you are doing is a fair bit more intensive, I'd say the battery is probably just fine

That was a very detailed response, Thank You

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Ok now i have IOS 5 on my iPhone 4 because i am a developer and the battery life is noticeably worse?

You don't know a thing about how your phone works, and need to ask us about your battery and streaming, but you're a developer?

Riiiiight

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I have owned my iPhone 4 16GB since a month after the model came out ;) and I concur with the previous post on battery life.

NyYaNkEeFaN95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island, NY
You don't know a thing about how your phone works, and need to ask us about your battery and streaming, but you're a developer?

Riiiiight

Thats a little harsh. Im OCD about stuff and i wanted to compare my phones battery usage to others on the forum to see if its working the way it should...

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
people throw the term "OCD" around too liberally these days.

Agreed.

And OP, I wasn't trying to be harsh, so I apologize. Just seemed odd that you had some basic questions (totally fine) but you are a developer. Since you're a developer, you should know that you probably shouldn't run beta software on your primary phone. That's why it's called a beta. Not supposed to be maximized for battery life.

What sort of apps/software do you create anyway?

Last edited:

NyYaNkEeFaN95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island, NY
Yes i understand, I don't have any apps right now but i am literally doctors note OCD...

Here is a picture of usage on my iPhone 4 running IOS 5 beta 4. I listened to iHeartRadio for the full amount of usage time. Is this battery drain alright...sorry for another simple question.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    103.1 KB · Views: 64

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Yes i understand, I don't have any apps right now but i am literally doctors note OCD...

Here is a picture of usage on my iPhone 4 running IOS 5 beta 4. I listened to iHeartRadio for the full amount of usage time. Is this battery drain alright...sorry for another simple question.

no, you're not "literally doctors note OCD", you're just overly concerned about the battery life of your phone, like the others who post threads freaking out about their phone's battery life

frankly, if the iphone just makes it to the end of the day, its good enough for me. Here's some advice, just use your phone

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Actual OCD usually relates to one or a few specific activities. I would like to see a doctor's note saying you are OCD about your cell phone's battery life.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Solution

Buy a Mophie Juice Pack Air and it will solve your battery problems. I have one and never even look at the battery level. Not spamming. I really like it.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hook your iphone 4 upto a pertol powered generator and you'll not notice any battery drain again...lol

Seriously tho as long as mine gets thro the day after heavy use then im just dandy.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Just disable battery %

Just use your iPhone like you used to use a mobile...

I guarantee you'll never drain it in a day anyway, most iPhones will last a good 5-8 hours depending on the types of usage... which is more than enough.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

That looks fine to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.