iPhone 4 Battery Usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NyYaNkEeFaN95, Jul 29, 2011.

1. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Hello, Apple just replaced my iPhone 4 due to a hardware issue. The replacement phone is refurbished but works like its brand new. My only concern is the battery. I feel that it is draining to quick. This morning i restored it to 4.3.5 and set it up as a new iPhone. I charged it to 100% and started to play apples latest keynote. I attached some screen shots of my percentage, cellular data usage and time spent using the phone and standby. I also included a screen shot of the keynote from where i stopped watching it. Can someone please tell me if my battery is normal. No other settings were changed, no mail is setup. Immediately after the clean restore i opened safari and started the video.

Attached Files:

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Brightness has a lot to do with BL, what was yours at?

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This. If you stream at full brightness over 3G it's a battery hog on any device. turn your brightness down to less than half and use WiFi to get the best battery life.

4. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

I guess i am using 50%, It is set to the default value.

5. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Streaming video off 3g is one of the most battery intensive things you can do. The phone has to use its radio to download the video, it has to use its processor to decompress the video, it has to use its speakers to play the audio, and it has to use its display to show the video. Most other tasks don't use those 4 parts of the phone all at once.

6. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Soooooooooooooooooo is my battery good? :D

7. Liquinn Suspended

8. staeit macrumors member

Is this how you are going to typically use it? Cause in my experience, I use my iPhone 4 to text, email, make calls, watch the odd video (usually stored locally), play some games, and a fair bit of idle time - I don't use it much while I'm at work. I mean, as Daniel L said, you are using many of the most draining functions on the iPhone. I believe that iPhone 4 3G BROWSING (which is less intensive because you aren't constantly downloading data while browsing, and the screen is much more static) rated battery life is 7 hours. It looks like you did 3G video watching for 1.75 hours, and you have dropped to 66% or roughly a third. Multiply this 1.75 hours by 3 and you extrapolate to the time it would take to drain the battery completely - 5.25 hours. Given that the rated battery life for browsing on 3G is 7 hours, and what you are doing is a fair bit more intensive, I'd say the battery is probably just fine

9. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Um but what is your percentage and what did you use it for?

10. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

That was a very detailed response, Thank You

11. staeit macrumors member

No problem. Actually according to Apple's website, browsing battery life is: "Up to 6 hours on 3G".

So you're doing pretty well I'd say :)

12. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Ok now i have IOS 5 on my iPhone 4 because i am a developer and the battery life is noticeably worse?

13. iFiend macrumors 65816

You don't know a thing about how your phone works, and need to ask us about your battery and streaming, but you're a developer?

Riiiiight

14. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I have owned my iPhone 4 16GB since a month after the model came out ;) and I concur with the previous post on battery life.

15. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Thats a little harsh. Im OCD about stuff and i wanted to compare my phones battery usage to others on the forum to see if its working the way it should...

16. walie macrumors 6502a

people throw the term "OCD" around too liberally these days.

17. iFiend, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

iFiend macrumors 65816

Agreed.

And OP, I wasn't trying to be harsh, so I apologize. Just seemed odd that you had some basic questions (totally fine) but you are a developer. Since you're a developer, you should know that you probably shouldn't run beta software on your primary phone. That's why it's called a beta. Not supposed to be maximized for battery life.

What sort of apps/software do you create anyway?

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You’re not going to be able to tell a thing in less than one day of usage. BTW, there are loads of threads talking about battery life on here. Just sayin’.

19. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Yes i understand, I don't have any apps right now but i am literally doctors note OCD...

Here is a picture of usage on my iPhone 4 running IOS 5 beta 4. I listened to iHeartRadio for the full amount of usage time. Is this battery drain alright...sorry for another simple question.

Attached Files:

20. walie macrumors 6502a

no, you're not "literally doctors note OCD", you're just overly concerned about the battery life of your phone, like the others who post threads freaking out about their phone's battery life

frankly, if the iphone just makes it to the end of the day, its good enough for me. Here's some advice, just use your phone

21. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Actual OCD usually relates to one or a few specific activities. I would like to see a doctor's note saying you are OCD about your cell phone's battery life.

22. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Solution

Buy a Mophie Juice Pack Air and it will solve your battery problems. I have one and never even look at the battery level. Not spamming. I really like it.

23. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hook your iphone 4 upto a pertol powered generator and you'll not notice any battery drain again...lol

Seriously tho as long as mine gets thro the day after heavy use then im just dandy.

24. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Just disable battery %

Just use your iPhone like you used to use a mobile...

I guarantee you'll never drain it in a day anyway, most iPhones will last a good 5-8 hours depending on the types of usage... which is more than enough.

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

That looks fine to me