iPhone 4 & BB on same plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmbfan41, Dec 15, 2010.

1. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

So heres the deal. I have an iPhone 4 with the least amount of minutes, 2GB plan, and unlimited messaging.

I moved into a house for school, but have very spotty wireless reception with my iPhone 4 on AT&T (live on the ocean). A few people in my house have blackberry phones on AT&T and have much less trouble getting service. I have a blackberry tour from when I had verizon that is unlocked.

Is it possible to use my blackberry with my iPhone 4 plan? Obviously the SIM doesn't fit, but I can imagine AT&T has new sims for cheap.

I'd like to use my blackberry until I'm back in NY.

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

They are different plans, so no you cannot simply swap the SIM card and have the data work on the BB. You will need to call AT&T and have them change the plan each time you want to switch.

3. dmbfan41, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

dmbfan41 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, blackberry uses RIM servers to route push email/bbm/voicemail

I'm just skeptical of the call/text/browsing.

I've used multiple SIMs to call/text on my unlocked BB before, just never used it on a SIM with a data plan or a contract plan.

Wouldn't all calling/texting plans be the same across all phones? You really just add a iPhone data package to the plan. It would be email and browser that might require you to have the certain plan that allows you to use these features on the phone.

I have heard people that AT&T forces you to have a data plan for any smartphone. I get that if you don't have the blackberry plan you can access blackberry features, but if you have a data plan say for the iphone does that qualify you to use the internet and nonblackberry features.

4. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

If you take the SIM out of your iPhone and put it in your BB, texts/calls will work no problem. You just won't get any data on the BB through 3G, unless you put the phone on WiFi.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You can use an iPhone with a BB data plan, but not the other way around. It used to be pretty easy to do pre-iPhone 4. Now I'm not sure how you do it seeing as how you'd have to get someone from AT&T to issue you a MicroSIM on a BB plan.