Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
IPHONE 4 be unlocked? from tesco pay as you go ...

how much are shops charging to unlock iphone 4?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
In the UK, Apple sells unlocked phones. As far as I know that is the only way to get one w/o a contract.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
The jailbreak has already been accomplished, and an unlock is in the works. All it takes is patience.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
IPHONE 4 be unlocked? from tesco pay as you go ...

how much are shops charging to unlock iphone 4?

question is -

Iphone 4 from tesco on pay as you go....is it possible to UNLOCK it to any network.

I understand Apple will be selling unlocked but 16Gb is for £499 from tesco its cheaper about £479.

I was wondering if anyone has got it from TESCO and unlocked it. Some people previosly have stated their o2 sim working on the TESCO Iphone 3gs.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
question is -

Iphone 4 from tesco on pay as you go....is it possible to UNLOCK it to any network.

I understand Apple will be selling unlocked but 16Gb is for £499 from tesco its cheaper about £479.

I was wondering if anyone has got it from TESCO and unlocked it. Some people previosly have stated their o2 sim working on the TESCO Iphone 3gs.

A s/w unlock is coming if you are willing to JB. There is no way to "officially" hardware unlock it though. You'd have to buy the unlocked model.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
A s/w unlock is coming if you are willing to JB. There is no way to "officially" hardware unlock it though. You'd have to buy the unlocked model.

approx how many weeks till we get the update we can unlock if JB.

Also right now is it possible to JB

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
approx how many weeks till we get the update we can unlock if JB.

Also right now is it possible to JB

could be soon, or it could be very long time from now to never.

there's an article floating around about the conspiracy of how AT&T has ability to re-lock your phone with over the air network updates.

in fact, jailbreak is yet to be available for iPhone 4, though the rumor is that it will be as soon as 4.1 update is out.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
If I had the option to get a factory unlocked iPhone for only ~$30 more, I'd go for that. Even if you could unlock the other one, they would probably charge you that much for it. Also, it greatly increases resale value. If you go for the software unlock, you can't get all the software updates from apple without waiting to see if it can be unlocked

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
If I had the option to get a factory unlocked iPhone for only ~$30 more, I'd go for that. Even if you could unlock the other one, they would probably charge you that much for it. Also, it greatly increases resale value. If you go for the software unlock, you can't get all the software updates from apple without waiting to see if it can be unlocked

$30 more? I think you left out a zero plus few hundreds.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009

thanks for the reply

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
thanks for the reply

hah, I like how you are thanking the post with false information instead.

If you go for the software unlock, you can't get all the software updates from apple without waiting to see if it can be unlocked
it's "hardware" unlock he is referring to. software unlock is the third party unlock that requires you to wait prior to using Apple upgrades.

If I had the option to get a factory unlocked iPhone for only ~$30 more, I'd go for that.
such option is only available if you're in one of the countries that offer factory unlocked iPhones. if you're living in US for example, there is no hardware unlock, and import hardware unlocked phones easily cost several hundred dollars more...far more than $30.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.