iPhone 4 being replaced for free? Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blazr, Sep 18, 2011.

1. blazr macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I've had my black 16gb Iphone 4 since the release day,
    Funny enough screen cracked about 6 months ago however its been fine.
    This week the reception has been acting up so i booked it and took it to my local Apple store. The guy said the screen crack could be the problem, he said i had to get it replaced with my own money, but when i told him it had been fine for 6 months, he went too the back (???) and checked my iPhone out without me.

He Surprisingly came back and said that it had been previously been already registered with someone, (which i new because i had issues when i first activated it, which Apple California has told me about), and they re-assigned it to my number and details (which Apple California had already done last year).

Then he said they'll replace the iPhone free of charge (out of the blue ??), and i am going to get it replaced in 7 days, from today!!

Now i know something fishys going on here, because why is he changing it for a new one for free (despite that my contract expiring in a few months).

My serial number is down below, check it out and tell me what you guys think.

85024***A4S

Btw ive decoded the serial and have come to the conclusion that apple are silently replacing old models so they can be fixed...

Is that true or is my iPhone special? I.E: Developers edition/Prototype.

Cheers in Advance people :D

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It is defiantly not a prototype. Prototype models are designed to only run on custom IPSW betas not available to the public. After the testing period is done the phone would revert back to the connect to iTunes screen and would cease to sync after that point.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing fishy, it's called good customer service.
    You should thank him for replacing it for free instead of thinking about wild stories.

4. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I've had my iPhone 4 replaced twice now - both times free. Both times have been for the home button sticking. There appear to be some known issues that will trigger a free replacement. Either that or I have been VERY lucky.