Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaikh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Poland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; pl-pl) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hello. I have been treating all my past iPhones with great respect, and this one is no different. Sadly I have recently noticed that a pretty visible black dot is present in lower left corner of each picture I take with my phone. Strangely videos shot with iP don't have that problem. Is that dust? How did it get there and how do I get rid of it? Thank you.

Last edited:

Shaikh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Poland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; pl-pl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Could someone help me out, please? It's very annoying, especially because it appeared only recently.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
I had the same issue, only the spot was even darker. I had cleaned the lens but the spot did not move or change. The spot only appears in the rear camera, the front facing camera is not affected. It did not appear in a screen shot either, so it was def in the lens of the camera.

I called Apple Care, who shipped out a new phone immediately.

IMG_0041.jpg
[/IMG]

Shaikh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Poland
Then I guess I'm doomed because I bought my phone months ago and the country where I live has no official apple presence at all, only authorised resellers. It's a great shame because I have treated my iPhone very well, yet something like this appears after few months of mild using. Hugely disappointed but I guess such is the nature of all material things...

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Movies are shot in 16:9, pictures are taken in 4:3. This means that basically the image frame gets cropped, causing the black spot to be cropped out of the image frame when recording videos. So this is why you don't see the spot on videos. You can see the cropping happening when switching from video to photo mode or vice versa.

Los

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
If there's no Apple Store near you and the authorized resellers can't replace the phone for you, why not remove the back and see if it's just on the little glass lens that's blued to the black glass?

Remove it, take some pics without the back and if the black dot is not there, then you know where it's at. If it's still there, then it's in the lens of the actual camera. Clean it with a micro fiber cloth if you have one. All should be good.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
If there's no Apple Store near you and the authorized resellers can't replace the phone for you, why not remove the back and see if it's just on the little glass lens that's blued to the black glass?

Remove it, take some pics without the back and if the black dot is not there, then you know where it's at. If it's still there, then it's in the lens of the actual camera. Clean it with a micro fiber cloth if you have one. All should be good.

+1 if you're careful and have the bitsy little screwdriver needed.

But I don't understand why your country's authorized resellers can't support you. You might call Apple directly to see what help they can provide. But, it's probably just a speck of dust and can be dealt-with yourself... if you're careful.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
One more thing to try. Assume the spot is a fleck of dust internally around the lens. Try to gently tap the iPhone to dislodge the speck. If it moves, even a little, you can continue to tap until the speck moves out of sight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.