iphone 4 black screen after replaceing digitizer/lcd pins look good ribon is not torn

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whiteboyed11, Dec 3, 2011.

1. whiteboyed11 macrumors newbie

hi i just replaced my cracked digitizer so i bought the lcd and digitizer set. i installed it now and i get a black screen everything else work just not the screen. what can it be ? ?

2. ryan.go.habs macrumors regular

Didn't install it right...

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Just make sure the two ribbons are plugged into the logic board properly.

4. maxspeed3006, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

maxspeed3006 macrumors newbie

Funny thing is, same thing happened to me today. I dissasembled my iphone 4 trying to fix the home button not working properly. thing is i made sure every thing was in place but when i finally assembled it, the screen just stays black even tho you can notice the backlight turned on.

I plugged it in and itunes can see my phone correctly and i can hear music from it and watch photos so i guess the mainboard is not f'ed up. so i figured the conection between the lcd screen and the mainboard is not making proper contact even tho i made sure its connected properly (the 5 flex cables on top of the mainboard and the big one at the bottom).

If you guys got some suggestions i'd appreciate them since i live in Argentina and Tech support is Non-existant here for apple products.

Thanks.

PD: more funny stuff: i actually fixed the home button (since i can test it by putting the phone in sleep mode and pressing it so the backlights turn on) but its actually useless since i cant use it right? my luck i guess...

5. lucianor macrumors newbie

did you solved your problem? I'm having the same problem, but I replaced the power button....

6. lucianor macrumors newbie

FYI, I'm having the same problem as described in this thread.

I opened up my iphone very carefully trying to replace the power button, which I did successfully.

When I turned it back on, the LCD was black - the backlight worked, but no image. When I plugged in in iTunes, everything worked normal, device was detected. I tried calling my phone, which did worked too.

I already tried resetting the phone, not worked. I tried entering into restore mode and restoring from the old image, but didn't work either.

So I brought the phone to a service repair, they said they replaced the lcd with an used and a new one, but they said it's still showing no image.. I have to trust them, but I'm interested on replacing the lcd myself and see if it works, but I don't want to spend 99 bucks and still get the same result.

So you guys have any idea of where the problem may be?

Tks

7. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Whenever I replaced broken iPhone screens, and i get one with a black screen after install I always hold down the power and home button for a hard reset and it fixes the issue.

8. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Hard reset it or the screen is bad.

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Yeah this ^^^

Instructions I got with an iPhone 4 parts order says this .....

1. Allow phone to power on completely

2. When phone is powered on, hold the home butting and top power button for 12-15 seconds ( this will perform hard reset )

Phone should power off and come back on and all should be fine.

If not then something amiss with the install and/or digitizer.

10. lucianor macrumors newbie

and if the hard reset doesn't work?

I've tried it several times.. did not worked. It even went into DFU mode, and I restored the software...

11. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

You probably don't have the LCD cable socketed correctly.

If it sort of pops in but wants to pop out, it is not in correctly. You have to line that one up right or the LCD will not work.

Try reseating the LCD connector.

Michael

12. lucianor macrumors newbie

All the basic troubleshooting was already done.. I reconnected the cable various times, no effect. But thanks for the help anyway.

In the post earlier I mentioned that one technician tried switching lcd, but didn't worked well. Everything working but the LCD.

Should I consider changing the logic board connector? What other tips you guys may have?

13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

The LCD ribbon cable may have been attached incorrectly when the LCD was first put back on--the new one--and the socket took a beating.

The only thing I can say is try and look at the socket with high magnification. I used a needle in similar situations to try to "fix" it (with mixed results).

Changing out the logic board connector is above my skill level. But if you are capable of it, and are absolutely sure it is not the LCD or how it is being connected, I guess it is worth a shot.

For the record, iTunes can recognize the device when it is plugged in? It can receive calls?

Michael

14. lucianor macrumors newbie

When I magnify, what should I be looking for? and how the needle may help?

I don't have the skill to replace the connector, I would need some help from a technician.

Yes, iTunes recognize it, and it take calls normally.

15. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Yea it sounds like it is just not connected to the LCD. I can't emphasize enough thought to be absolutely sure it is not the LCD. Personally, I would not go by two LCDs not working. I would try the replacement LCD in another iPhone 4. If it works there then I would be certain the LCD itself is not defective.

I used a tool that had a very sharp needle-like point because I wanted to be able to move and hopefully straighten any errant contact points. But I never did this on an iPhone 4/4S logic board LCD connector.

Even so, I would want to see it magnified. It could be some sort of debris. Basically it should look like this:
    [​IMG]

You can buy that part for under $10. But you REALLY need a qualified tech to repair it. If you can't find one I know there is someone who is around ifixit.com who can do it. Maybe even on here.

This company will do it for $50:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iphone-4-4S...ultDomain_0&hash=item19cf93b58d#ht_1885wt_922

Michael

Attached Files:

16. lucianor macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. Right now the iphone is with a technician, they said they tried two other LCDs but still couldn't get any picture. Their next step was to use a microscope to check for connections on the board. I'm wondering if they did things right, such as doing a hard reset after replacing the LCD... I asked that, and the front desk guy said they did it... don't know if they can sold this to the logic board though.. which is a problem since I live in Brazil.

Since May 1st is an holiday in Brazil, I'll hear from them tomorrow. When I get the iPhone back, I'll have to inspect closer for any signs of damage to the connector, and try to get it working again. If it doesn't work, then I have two options:
    1) buy a new lcd and try to fix it by myself;
    2) bring it to another technician for a second opinion on the matter.

Appreciate your help though. I'm just really concerned about not be able to use my phone anymore, even though everything is working besides the LCD. It's weird how only one piece isn't working and everything else is.

17. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Hope it works out OK.

I reread your first post and just realized you were only replacing the power button and not LCD. I'm sure you wouldn't have done that if the iPhone had a non-working display. So it seems likely the connector has been damaged or (hopefully) blocked by some kind of debris.

Oh, and if those techs are not fully confident they can replace the socket, don't have them try. There has to be a place there that can do it, even if you have to ship the part or iPhone to them for repair.

Good luck!

Michael

18. lucianor macrumors newbie

thank you Michael!

Yeah, I was replacing the power button - not the LCD - so the only thing I may have done is to push hard on the flex cable that goes from the LCD to the logic board, but the technician said it was ok. I used some brush to clean the connector, but I have not did a closer inspection.

Only thing that concerns me, is that the logic board that sensitive to debris?

19. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

The logic board isn't, per se. But if you have an open socket containing small contacts it's possible something--perhaps a bit of the connector's covering--is blocking the connection.

This is just one thing to try. Unfortunately it could be that the socket is physically damaged and will need to be replaced. But it is worth trying eto liminate anything else before going to that step.

Michael

20. jambone macrumors newbie

21. rcrservices macrumors newbie

I have same issue guys after trying to replace lcd

I will try using a magnifying glass and look for ant debris. I did notice a very small piece of plastic fall off the new lcd i was replacing but i noticed it was only residue from when it was made. So tomorrow i will check for any obstructions and will let you know of my results.

22. oscar.chan macrumors newbie

Hi Guy, If you LCD is all good without any damage during disassemble and assemble, probably you just install improperly. As you know, that 2 flex cable is dramatically sensitive even you think it is okay. Try not to reassemble first, just stay all open to and power on the device after you connect that 2 flex cable with hold tightly by your fingers. If it is not working, you may have a chance that your the flex cable is damaged.:D