iPhone 4 Bluetooth in Car Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lem3u, Jun 25, 2010.

1. lem3u macrumors newbie

I have a Nissan Sentra with built in bluetooth, and I am having problems since getting the new iphone. I synced mine with no problems, but when someone calls, the phone vibrates and then only after a couple of "rings" the car display says bluetooth but there is still no audible ringing at all. The phone was not in silent mode.

With my 3G, as soon as a call came in, it would silence my radio and the car would ring to let me know of an incoming call. Anyone having similiar issues with their car bluetooth? Thanks.

2. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I just posted a question about this issue. I also have a Nissan (Versa). I haven't reset anything since my iOS4 upgrade. My 3Gs running iOS4 still pairs with my car but the sound quality (both the ring and the voice) is very degraded - sounds hollow and scratchy. I've yet to try and reset the pairing. I'm hoping that will fix it.

I'll post a link to this thread in mine

3. adamcpeterson macrumors newbie

Same car, same phone, same problem.

Same car, same phone, same problem. I've had an iPhone 3G, 3GS and now 4 and ALL of them have had different show-stopping issues. At least with the 4 I can make calls easily, although I can't use the voice commands on the iPhone because it uses the car's bluetooth for the mic and it takes the car 10 secs to be ready to accept the command - super annoying but I can live without the voice commands while driving. The only reason I know someone's calling me is that I'm usually listening to music while driving and it goes quiet for "no reason" until I notice the phone shows an incoming call.

I'll let you know if/when I find a solution....

4. lem3u thread starter macrumors newbie

Hopefully it can be fixed in a future software update. I tried to pair the phone again, but no luck. At least now I know it is not just my phone.

That's how I know I have a call coming in, my music silences and then I know in a few seconds the bluetooth will connect and I can hit the answer key on the steering wheel. The caller hears two rings before I can even answer the phone through bluetooth. It's kind of annoying, but I can live with it for now.

5. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

In my MINI (BMW bluetooth) I'm only getting synced up with the car a portion of the times I drive. The car "knows" of my phone and the phone "sees" the car but they don't always get hooked up. My wife's X3 is the same. I assume it's software. It better be! haha

6. adamcpeterson macrumors newbie

Just ran through every possible test I could think of and every possible configuration and reconfiguration I could come up with. All testing has the same results so for now, we have to live with it.

Very curious to see what this possible 4.0.1 iOS update will do for this problem, if anything. You never know what other "features" they'll sneak in. Most likely nothing though.

I played with the voice commands and found that if you activate voice commands on the phone, it vibrates once to indicate you didn't say anything, then the bluetooth kicks in and you can voice command dial through your car. Waiting 10 secs kinda sucks, but it's still pretty cool to not have to program the car's address book (again).

7. dmstrom macrumors newbie

Ford Sync doesn't work well with bluetooth either

I have a Ford Sync system in my Mercury, and it is having bluetooth troubles as well. This is not the USB problem with the SYNC system; I haven't used the USB connection in ages.

My car will pair with the iPhone after several tries, and work as it is supposed to. But it will no longer automatically connect as it did with my 3GS, even after I upgraded to iOS4. It is definitely an iPhone 4 issue.

I am hoping that there is a software fix.

I have also had dropped calls issues, even after I installed a bumper on the phone. Antenna problems? Software issue?

Love the iPhone 4 in general, but it sure would be nice if it worked better as a phone.

8. cobra5mil macrumors member

I am using Sync 2.0 and have no issues with listening to music or making/receiving phone calls with my iPhone 4. However, AVRCP still is not supported. (Waiting for jailbreak so I can add music controls.)

Did you guys restore your iPhone 4 using your older profile? I have seen lots of issues because people did not setup their iPhone 4 as a "new phone."

P.S. My 3GS and 4 are both synced to my car and when I have one with me, it automatically connects. If I had Pandora running when I opened my car door, my iPhone 4 will automatically start playing at the same spot that it stopped the next time I start my car.

9. pooptable7 macrumors newbie

I also drive a mini and I didn't have any problems pairing my ip4 to the car....everything was fine until I made a call. The person on the other end said they could barely hear me which I never had a problem with my 2g iPhone.

Anybody else's call volume gone to hell like mine?

10. NashMan2 macrumors regular

A friend just called from the BMW dealership. He took his car in because his bluetooth wasn't working with his 3GS since he upgraded to iOS4. The dealership says they are seeing it with a lot of iphone users and they can't work around it.
    Apple needs to address this soon.

11. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

CyberBob859

Just an update - with my iPhone 3G and iOS 4.1 installed, I have exactly the same problem with the same car and bluetooth system as you. I was hoping that 4.1, with the rumored "bluetooth fixes", would solve this problem, but it looks like it hasn't.

12. lem3u thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, no fix for me either on the iPhone 4. I got my hopes up with 4.1 and the bluetooth fixes, but it is still doing the same thing. Thanks for the update.

13. shelbymayer macrumors regular

I also have a Nissan Sentra with an Iphone 4. I haven't tried to pair it with bluetooth yet, but I actually have a slightly different question.

The stereo has a dedicated ipod connection, my question is, if I have it hooked up with the ipod connection is there anyway to control the ipod from the PHONE itself (right now it doesn't let me because the radio is controlling it) also, if I have it connected through the ipod connection can I also pair it through bluetooth and will it know/automatically switch over when I have a call come through? Thanks for your responses!

14. terrimac macrumors newbie

I finally got my iphone 4 to pair after deleting all phones from my Mazda bluetooth system and re-pairing, however many times when I get a call they are gone by the time I answer or cannot hear me. My 3G on ios 4 still has not paired with the car even though it was pairing fine before the update.

15. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

CyberBob859

Anything new?

Has anybody heard about any fixes for this issue? It's starting to get real annoying that Bluetooth doesn't work right with my iPhone and Sentra.