iphone 4 Bluetooth - Please explain it to me!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FranklynRecords, Sep 7, 2010.

1. FranklynRecords macrumors member

Hi - I just got the iphone 4 and I can't discover other phones or my imac/macbook. To me this seems like the thing is broken but I spoke to my provider and they said its normal and all I can use the bluetooth for is headsets and things like that.

Can someone please explain in dummy terms what it can and can't do bluetooth wise (can i send or receive files, control Logic on my imac etc). When I try to search for info its all explained in a language Im not familiar with.

So please anyone....... explain it to the noob :D It would be very much appreciated!!

ps. Other devices (phones - macs) can see my iphone but not the other way round - I semi paired with it via the imac but when you actually hit connect on the iphone it just cuts out.

Thanks for your time people!!! :)

2. Dooger macrumors 6502

I've found BT between my MBP and iPhone to be an absolute dog to use. I just use the Files app now.

3. vachargerfan macrumors regular

From what I understand, you can't pair the iPhone with other phones via bluetooth. Just peripherals like headsets/headphones. Don't know about Mac's since I don't have one

4. jaybe1 macrumors member

Hey as far as i know the Bluetooth is only for use with handsfree kits. You can't send data over it at all unless its jailbroken.

5. FranklynRecords thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the info - Keep it coming people, im sure im not the only one whos confused!! i hope not anyhow.

Whats jailbroken?

6. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Macs can do alot with Bluetooth but no iPhone has ever been able to share files over it (jailbroken maybe but not sure)

There are a load of other ways to transfer files which Apple mention alot such as email, mobileme etc.

Apple normally has a very atrict idea about how they want you to do things, if you don't agree with them sometimes you just cant get past them without alot of hacks, this is especially the case with their iPhones/iPads etc.

Cant see FULL bluetooth functionality ever coming to to iPhone