iPhone 4 bootrom dumped? (if I understand this correctly).

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by joneildu, Jun 30, 2010.

1. joneildu macrumors member

I searched to see if this was posted, didn't see it. via modmyi

2. styles111 macrumors newbie

Sounds like some more good steps in the right direction.

Per Planetbeing:

"We're working on the baseband right now. There's some promise but no ETA or guarantees". @mfaizulislam

3. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

If they figured out how to crack bootrom why not release jailbreak now? It wont matter if spirit uses userland exploit and it gets patched now cause now there is a permanent solution no? The earlier the better, that way more apps get updated to support iphone 4 and its features + increased resolution.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Could be a lot of legit reasons. We want it as much as you do, but not if its unstable at this point. The fact that theyre devoting time for free is more than we can ask.

I'm also impatient but I'm holding on.

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

of course im being patient also. I just remember how much of a pain it was for apps getting updated to new firmware revisions and such. Now with such a big hardware jump and new hardware abilities of the iphone 4 it will take long for us to get stable JB apps or apps that take full advantage of hardware. Either or this is a great improvement and kodos to all the ios jailbreak teams. Its a team effort and because of them this community exists in the first place.

6. Sp71Supra macrumors regular

im inpatient also, lol.. i been checking this forum everyday.. I WANT MY MYWI back, lol

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Omg, this is phenomenal news!! I'm now following him on twitter. I, like most of you, am growing utterly impatient for my mywi and my3g. :) I'm subbing here as well, please update this threat as news becomes available!!

8. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I read that the method they use right now involves some of Apple's source code so they don't want to release it like that...

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

This is probably part of what geohot found with his "pwned4life" promise.

If he found a flaw present in all current bootrooms, all current phones become unlockable and jailbreakable forever, much like the old 2G. As I understand it, bootroms aren't updateable via firmware updates from Apple.

10. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Man, that is almost too good to be true. So I'm assuming that Apple used a completely new bootrom for the 3GS?

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

He has yet to inform anyone what he even plans to do with it. If anything. Planetbeing says he's working on the bootrom on the iPhone 4, so at least we know they're showing great progress.

12. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Yeah. Plus they stopped signing firmwares.

Boot loader jailbreaks are like the holy grail because they are essentially unpatchable (which is why Apple released the very hard to jailbreak 3GS revision) and the boot loader is the first thing that is loaded, so the jailbreak can have control over the entire system.

13. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

This. They don't want to get into trouble with copyrighted code ;)