iPhone 4 bought(radio shack) with iOS 4.1 Normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grimreefer310, Sep 17, 2010.

1. grimreefer310 macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I just bought an iphone 4 from radio shack. It took me literally more than an hour for the whole process because it was the sales rep's first day. I asked them that if I can just get the phone unactivated and she said no/ its against their policy.

So im thinking while she was activating it, did she do an upgrade or is this normal - are all the new iphone 4s coming with the latest iOS 4.1?

thanks!

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

It is pretty normal that Apple ships the iPhones out with the latest firmware when it is sent from the factory to retailers. Considering 4.1 has been out for awhile it is not surprising at all to see it already on new iPhones.

Also I can't believe you thought you could get it without activation. You sign a contract to help subsidize the price, and so unless you are paying over $600 for it then you absolutely have to agree to the terms of a 2-year contract, which means it has to be activated.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I got my iphone 4 exchanged on Tuesday with a factory new iPhone (returned, re-bought) and it already had 4.1 installed, 6 days after it was officially released. So it's normal, no one from RadioShack updated your firmware.

4. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

got mine at ATT store the other day and it came with 4.1

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Where did you originally purchase? AT&T or Apple?

I bought mine originally from AT&T less than 30 days and Thursday went to the genius bar for issues. They exchanged my iPhone but it didn't have 4.1. Actually the exchanged iPhone was manufactured week 34 compared to my original if 28.

I wanted to do a return and re-buy via AT&T but they said there would be a restocking fee even though it's less than 30 days old?

Marc

6. androiphone macrumors 65816

all the contract bought sim-locked iphones bought in the UK are not activated and you take them home yourself and activate them. you have already signed the contract so you have to pay the 18/24 month contract whether you use the contract in the iphone or any other phone or even no phone at all

7. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Yes, they do this in the US too when you order an iPhone online, but when it comes to buying them in the store, they need to verify your account (or create a new one) and place the contract on your account for the phone, so the extra step of activating it isn't really a big deal.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I bought my iPhone from an Apple Store.

I had an appointment on Monday at the Apple Store because of Proximity Sensor, Camera and Mic issues, the Genius agreed that these were real issues and agreed to exchange it for me, but I told him that before we went any further, that I had a few questions.

I was worried that if he exchanged my phone, It would then have a different serial number from the receipt/box and I asked if I would have issues in the future if I chose to return my phone at the end of my 30 days. He then called a Manager, who recommended I just return my phone and re-buy it to avoid any confusion in the future, but I wasn't planning on this and I didn't have my box or accessories with me, so I had to return on Tuesday to complete the process.

I now have a week 37 model, and another 30 days.

9. grimreefer310 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn. Yeah i am about to get 2 more orders from ATT online and the good part is that they are not activated. Also the last 2 I ordered, they did have the old firmware so i got my fingers crossed. The phones ship on Tuesday so I will let you guys know the status of the iOS.

thanks!