iPhone 4 brand new replacement when bricked from Error 9???

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by t0md0, Jul 19, 2010.

1. t0md0 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, quick question. I, like a lot of people, have fell victim to the Error Code 9 issue when trying to upgrade my iPhone 4 from 4.0 to 4.0.1. I'm running Win7 64-bit. The phone is pretty much bricked unless I use Tiny Umbrella. My question is, if I bring my phone into an Apple Store, will they replace my iPhone 4 with a brand new one? Like, will they literally open a brand new one if front of me and say, "here ya go?". Or will they bring out a refurbished one?

2. n7plus1 Guest

has any time even passed yet to have a refurbished 4? lol...most places dont even have "new-new" ones.

3. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

I just got a replacement phone via AppleCare and it is, as far as I can tell, brand new. The serial number is exactly as it would be if it was brand new. It is week 26. I highly doubt you would get a refurbished phone this early after release.

4. t0md0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry it was an honest question. So I take it they will replace with a BRAND NEW phone right? Even if they don't have any for sale for general walk-ins?

5. headcheese macrumors regular

I had mine replaced for battery issues and it comes, as always, in a plain black (used to be white) box. As it has been said many times before it's too early for a refurb. I am almost certain that my refurb 3g had a weird serial number (started with a 5 maybe?) compared to my new 3g in the retail box. This replacement ip4 had a similar serial number to my 1st, which in my eyes means it was most likely new (and I checked it over REALLY well for scratches, etc. and found nothing).

Hope this helps.

6. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

The old phones when refurbished started with 5K. I had my 3G replaced several times and that was always the case. The new iPhone 4 I got for my AppleCare replacement came in the same plain box as the old 3G replacements came. Regardless of new or refurbished, they wouldn't have any scratches, though. The exterior shells are always replaced with a refurbished unit.

I just finished posting the video of my iPhone 4 replacement if anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mI03lbcqs

7. t0md0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have an appt with Apple Store today. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Not really concerned with the exterior, well I mean I am, but I'm also concerned with the internals. For example, brand new battery and overall brand new hardware...

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The i4 is what a month old?
    I dont think they were shipped to and back from any refurbished manufacturing processs.

9. t0md0 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope I get lucky and get a phone that doesn't have death grip and error 9 issues. Lol. Seems to be intermittent problems for some and not all.

Regardless what anyone says I'm sure we all get a bit of attenuation with a bar or 2 dropping. I can literally pause 3G loading for websites if I hold it via death grip before loading safari. As soon as I let go, of course the website loads.

10. t0md0 thread starter macrumors newbie

So yeah I got a brand new phone. At least I think it's new. Came out of a hard plastic case behind the genius bar desk at the Apple Store and the guy said it's brand new.

They hooked my old phone up and did a restore and bam error 9. Crazy thing is he said he's never seen this with an iPhone 4!! I couldn't believe it. Oh well. FYI.

11. jonstatt macrumors member

So how long, is long enough, for refurbs to start to appear? It is almost a month now..isn't that long enough for the first ones to have been repaired and recycled?