Iphone 4 Bricked! Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nathanschafer, Apr 3, 2011.

1. nathanschafer macrumors member

Hey,

I tried jailbreaking my iphone 4 (redsn0w 4.1.3 tethered). An error came up in itunes, and it did not let me be jailbroken. I then tried to restore with normal 4.1.3 by clicking restore on itunes (no custom ipsw). It is coming up with errors in itunes. Will apple be able to tell the phone was tried to be jailbroken? I am taking it in on tuesday. Thanks so much for your help.

2. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Technically I didn't jailbreak, as it never let me update to the custom IPSW.

Any help?

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Did you try DFU? Or kicking out of recovery with tiny umbrella?

4. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

It is itunes error 1013, doesn't seem to have anything to do with jailbreak. Should I just take it into apple and ask them to reset it? I dont want to fiddle around with my itunes code or whatever it is....

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Did you google the error code's meaning?
    You can still try my suggestions. :rolleyes:
    You can't mess up iTunes. Besides, weren't you trying to jb? That sounds like fiddling to me.

6. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

that error means your hosts.txt file is preventing itunes from contacting apple's servers to verify the device and software match.

you would have learned this by googling the error number or using apple's support site search.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Not helpful so why post it?:cool:

OP, I second using tiny umbrella to kick out of recovery to fix your issue as eastercat suggests

8. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Your iPhone isn't bricked. Yesterday I was upgrading my jailbroken iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 to 4.3.1 so that I could apply the new jailbreak to it. But during the process of restoring it, while the iPhone displayed the Apple logo with the progress bar beneath it, it would keep stopping 3/4ths of the way through, and I would get that 1013 error message in iTunes saying that the iPhone couldn't be restored. My iPhone would show the USB cord saying that I needed to plug it into iTunes, but it would be stuck in recovery mode and I couldn't do anything unless I restored it, which I couldn't do.

But I looked online at an Apple Discussion forum post and found this:

I used the Mac method, and it worked perfectly for me.

9. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Also, I had TinyUmbrella and tried kicking it out of restore mode and clicking the button to Fix the recovery, but they didn't work and just ended up putting my iPhone back into the 1013 error. The above method worked great though.