iPhone 4 Bricked

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kikocharana, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Kikocharana macrumors newbie

Problem:
    iPhone 4 is stuck in restore mode

iPhone specs before being bricked:
    -iPhone 4
    -Jailbroken and working well
    -IOS Version 4.2.1 (if i recall correctly)

How i bricked it:
    I wanted to update to IOS 5, so i followed the following steps (please note that i missed step 2)
    -downloaded firmware 5.0.0
    -Missed step==>upgrade via itunes to the downloaded firmware
    -launch Redsn0w
    -Select Select IPSW
    -Select downloaded firmware
    -Jailbreak with the downloaded firmware selected

It seems that Redsn0w was trying to jailbreak my iPhone thinking it was on version 5.0 while it was on version 4.2.1 which bricked by phone.

What i tried to do to get out of this mess (after a alot of googling and a lot of failed attempts, this was the closest procedure to which i thought should work)
    -Run Redsn0w and select Custom IPSW
    -Choose the downloaded firware (i also tried with firmware 5.0.1), which will create a new firmware starting with NO_BB_
    -Enter phone into pwned DFU using Redsn0w
    -Launch iTunes and shift restore to the newly created firmware (the attached results are from the NO_BB_ file created for 5.0.1 firmware)
    -The restoring failed, and the log is in the following link http://pastebin.ca/2106325

I would appreciate any help.

2. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Tried DFU-mode on another computer? No redsn0w. No custom ipsw. Just newest iTunes and DFU-Mode.

3. superduperdom macrumors member

OK here's something I did when I thought my iPad and iPhone were bricked while jail breaking from 4.2.1 to 5.0.1.

I could not get past the first step, kept getting error messages, 1600 and 21 I think. All the Dfuing in the world didn't help and I could not restore.
    I temporarily removed my hosts file to the trash (or anywhere else). It is in a folder marked /etc/, just google if you need more help with where and what that is.

Then my restore/jailbreak went smoothly. After finishing I did a putback on the hosts file and I was at one with the universe again. Hope this helps.

4. iFiend, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

iFiend macrumors 65816

First, your phone is not bricked. I don't know why the most recent group of iPhone users/jailbreakers think that when anything goes wrong their phone it is now bricked. Is your phone doing anything at all? You know, like that spinning wheel in the middle of the black screen? Right.

Bricked = not responding at all, and really difficult to actually do, especially with redsn0w.

/rant

No disrespect OP, just know your terms :)

Now, have you ever used TinyUmbrella to restore your phone? As another poster suggested, you may have your host file pointed to Cydia, and that will cause a normal restore to hang.

Stop, breath, and think clearly. We'll get you through this!

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Your 1st problem is you can no longer install 5.0. Even saved shsh blobs are no longer working. Fallow the steps update to 5.0.1 preserving baseband as you do. Fallow the tutorials on Iclarified.

6. Kikocharana thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys very much for you're help. After trying on another computer and emptying the host file (there was an entry to apple that seems to have been added by tinyumbrella), the phone restored successfully.

Thanks once again for you're help :)

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

You cant imagine how many people have been killed by that tiny umbrella change. And how many threads have been started over it.

I thought that the tool had been updated to clean up after itself.

8. iFiend macrumors 65816

You are correct. The problem is that the box that needs to be checked off is not checked by default :)

9. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

I personally don't like Tiny Umbrella for this very reason.

10. iFiend macrumors 65816

That's hardly a reason to dislike software, IMO. TU has been a GODSEND on many occasions for me, and is an outstanding program.

It's up to the end user to know how to use it properly ;)

11. dare69 macrumors member

Are there any confirmed cases of iphones being actually bricked?

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Yes, albeit very rare through jailbreaking. It is most likely to happen during beta testing of iOS versions, although still rare. I can think of only a handfull of cases where an iPhone was actually bricked, and in all cases Apple and their "Geniuses" replace them with no questions asked.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not since the OS 1.0 and 2.0 days. I remember to taking between 20 and 40 steps to jailbreak, plenty of opportunities for trouble.

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sweet another bricked phone debricked.

15. doctortrojan macrumors newbie

Please help

I tried updating from 4.0.1 jailbroken to 5.0.1 using the guide on this website. i can not restore it now. it won't let me restore my iPhone but says i have the latest version of the software.

Basically instead of getting validated by apple it now won't connect to anything without an error. i am a doctor and need my cell phone to return calls. i don't understand what to do i tried using red snow and it gives me an error. what should i do please help me if you can.

sincerely
    a friend in need

P.S. i can donate to your charity redsnow or ultraslow or whoever can help me with this would really like to have my phone back and now i regret trying to upgrade from jailbroken 4.0.1 version which i had been using since i got the phone nearly 2 years ago i always seem to ruin my phone or lose my phone usually drop it in water this time i guess i electronically ruined it...maybe there is hope ....

----------

I tried updating from 4.0.1 jailbroken to 5.0.1 using the guide on this website. i can not restore it now. it won't let me restore my iPhone but says i have the latest version of the software.

Basically instead of getting validated by apple it now won't connect to anything without an error. i am a doctor and need my cell phone to return calls. i don't understand what to do i tried using red snow and it gives me an error. what should i do please help me if you can.

sincerely
    a friend in need

P.S. i can donate to your charity redsnow or ultraslow or whoever can help me with this would really like to have my phone back and now i regret trying to upgrade from jailbroken 4.0.1 version which i had been using since i got the phone nearly 2 years ago i always seem to ruin my phone or lose my phone usually drop it in water this time i guess i electronically ruined it...maybe there is hope ....

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

Ifriend help the guy he wants to donate to your charity! ;) btw I didn't know you had one!

17. iFiend macrumors 65816

LOL

I'll gladly help you, for free.

You ever get this taken care of?