Iphone 4 - Bricked???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SaintsFan1971, May 25, 2012.

1. SaintsFan1971 macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I have (had) an Iphone 4 and was on 4.2.1 (green poison JB).

Yesterday, I used IFaith to make an SHSH blob and an IPSW.

Today, when I saw the untethered 5.1.1 JB, I proceeded as follows:
    1) Did a complete backup of phone
    2) With the phone still connected via USB, I "reset" the phone as recommended. I think this is where my problems started since it just sat there for a very long time with a blank screen (not completely off, just blank). After 10 min, I disconnected the device and have not been able to get it back up and operational.
    **I never got to the point of starting the JB, since I cannot upgrade to 5.1.1 or restore anything**

Problems:
    I cannot get the phone to power off completely. When I hold the power button, the screen goes off, but the logo comes back up. After a couple seconds, the green poison skull appears and never gets beyond that point.

I cannot get it in DFU mode, but it does allow Recover mode. However, when I try to recover using the IPSW I made with IFaith, it times out with error 1604 (which is about a USB error - that was never a problem).

Any advice or suggestions will be deeply appreciated.
    I am considering opening the phone to disconnect the battery to truly power the thing off. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time,
    Charles:confused:

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

This happened because you are a Saints fan (go Steelers ;) )

Seriously, though, have you tried to just update using iTunes. Since you seem to have your SHSH blobs (and hopefully APTicket) saved, it wouldn't hurt to update to the stock firmware and jailbreak using that now that a JB is available.

Unless you are dependant on an older BaseBand for an unlock, this is where I would start.

3. Trey1984 macrumors regular

kick out of recovery mode with tiny umbrella and try again, like i said in another thread. servers are really slammed, cydia is buckling. it takes time and be patient.

4. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Did you reset the phone via a RESTORE or through the "Erase all content and settings" button? Because you are not supposed to do the latter on a jailbroken phone..

5. SaintsFan1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Saints made a mess of it this year so far.....sorta like what I think I did to my Iphone (must be the water!!!).

I realize I should have explained this differently (sorry)....

The problem I have is that my Iphone is not recognized when plugged into Itunes. The only time I can get Itunes to recognize the phone is when it is in recovery mode (for that sake, the only thing I can get to display on the screen, besides the green poison skull, is the Recovery mode).

Same holds true for TinyUmbrella (phone not recognized until it is put into recovery mode).

I am afraid it is toasted!!!

----------

I did the latter - Does this mean it is all over???

6. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

If it's in Recovery mode, why can't you recover it, i.e., take it back to factory settings?

7. SaintsFan1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

I Left click, then restore, then select the IPSW file I made with IFaith two days ago, then ITunes times out with 1604 error. I tried different USB ports, but no luck.

8. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Why are you using a special ipsw, trying to not upgrade the baseband?

9. SaintsFan1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Baseband is not an issue. I am trying a restore now from Itunes (about 18 minutes left) and will post the results.

10. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Take a look at my post above and Kodeman's. If you do not need a special baseband, there is absolutely NO reason to restore to a custom firmware. Get your phone into recovery mode so iTunes recognizes is, then press restore in iTunes and let it do it's thing. Jailbreak afterwards if you want.

Get your phone working, and then worry about a custom firmware later if you need to downgrade (although there is an untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak now - so why would you?).

If you take anything away from this - DO NOT EVER CLICK ERASE ALL CONTACTS AND SETTINGS ON YOUR iPHONE!!!! EVER!!!!! Seems like there is a rash of this going on today....

11. SaintsFan1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Z....In the process of doing a restore.
    Bad news - After download, Itunes said Processing file, then the message just went away. After a couple minutes, I hit restore, Itunes said extracting file...., then I get Error 3194 (which has to do with Itunes version I think). This is the latest version of Itunes, so that does not make sense.

On to the next attempt.
    What is really strange is I NEVER get a Power Off option. Sometimes, when I hold the power button nothing happens at all. When I get a response it seems to only make the logo (or recovery mode) go away for a few seconds while it attempts to reboot. Go figure!!!

Point well noted about the "Erase" on a JB Iphone - Lesson learned!!!
    I only wish the newly released 5.1.1 JB would have been explicit in the instructions that this is not for phones already JB'ed.

12. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

So basically you're still stuck in the recovery loop, correct? Have you tried using Tiny Umbrella or RedSn0w to "kick device out of recovery" yet?

If that doesn't work, you can try a hard reset (hold power and home until the phone reboots), or try a hard reset and hold the volume up button as the phone reboots (safe mode).

Good luck!

13. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I feel like I should know better but I'm in the same boat as the OP.

iP4 JB'd on 4.2.1. Can someone just tell me if this is going to be the easiest way to update?

1.Back it up.
    2.Update to 5.1.1 on itunes
    3.Run GreenPosion

14. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

You're in the same boat is in you have a recovery loop, or as in you should know better? Please clarify, and you'll get an answer back soon.

15. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Yup I might have left some basic info out. No I'm not in the recovery loop. Yes I should know better.

My iP4 is JBd on 4.2.1 just wanted to reassure myself of what to do when I get home.

1.Back Up
    2. Update to 5.1.1 in iTunes.
    3.Run GreenPosi0n

Correct?

Thanks ZCherrub in advance!!

16. SaintsFan1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

:D
    Persistence paid off.....
    I was unable to get the phone to restore via Itunes, so I tried the original JB with no luck.

I was only able to power off the phone by holding down power and Home button. This would do a reset if I had the phone connected to the PC, but when disconnected the screen went black.
    I then booted into IFaith, plugged in my cord (which acted as a power up) and then was able to get into DFU mode. Once in DFU mode, I was able to restore the custom IPSW I made the other day.

Thanks to you all for the willingness to help and sharing your knowledge.

LESSON LEARNED - DO NOT Reset (Erase) a JB phone!!!

Now I need to get the courage to upgrade to 5.1.1 and then JB.

Any word of problems?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but is the best approach to do an Apple upgrade (restore) from my JB'ed 4.2.1 phone to 5.1.1 first, then do the new JB?

Thanks,
    Charles

17. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

So are you back on your original 4.2.1? Still have your JB? Yeah, I would do a restore via iTunes, then JB.

Glad you got it out of the loop!

----------

Yes - that's what I would do. Just make sure you don't need an unlock, etc. If so, you'll want to wait for custom firmware to preserve your baseband. Otherwise - restore via iTunes, then JB.

It's also not a bad idea to use iFaith, RedSn0w etc. to save your SHSH Blobs and APTicket in case you want/need to downgrade to an earlier firmware for whatever reason - just in case...