Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I had it an auto but when I turned it off and put the brightness slider all the way up, the clarity and details I saw on the screen was so intense. It really looks great.

Does anyone else do this also, do you find it too battery intensive that you don't do it?

The battery life isn't so bad when doing it, I just turn off push for email and battery life seems to last long enough for me.

Xplict91

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
I had it an auto but when I turned it off and put the brightness slider all the way up, the clarity and details I saw on the screen was so intense. It really looks great.

Does anyone else do this also, do you find it too battery intensive that you don't do it?

The battery life isn't so bad when doing it, I just turn off push for email and battery life seems to last long enough for me.

well sometimes when im in a bright area I tend to raise it all the way, but Its usually not worth the battery life since i only charge once per day its usually left very dim

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
hell. it's nice but it's too bright for me too. i usually on 60% with auto brightness set on.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I leave it turned up all the way 95% of the time and have no problems getting through the day after charging it the night before.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
MacJones said:
I leave it turned up all the way 95% of the time and have no problems getting through the day after charging it the night before.

Same here. The only time I turn it down is at night in a room where all light are off (except the tv) because in that situation it's too bright. All other times it's at max brightness.

Hemmo

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
my basic setting is about 70% auto of but when reading book in dim light i usually turn brightness down to 30% brightness at 100% hurts my eyes :)

Lingham

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
well sometimes when im in a bright area I tend to raise it all the way, but Its usually not worth the battery life since i only charge once per day its usually left very dim

Exactly what I do. Unless im outside and cant see the dim its all the way up, if not its down

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I just can't see why Apple don't allow their Auto Brightness "feature" to change the brightness DOWN in dark situations.
Why only UP in bright situations?

Evry night I go to bed and use it as a bedside clock, I have to p1ss around in the settings menu

The Mac has done it correctly for ages.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I just can't see why Apple don't allow their Auto Brightness "feature" to change the brightness DOWN in dark situations.
Why only UP in bright situations?

Evry night I go to bed and use it as a bedside clock, I have to p1ss around in the settings menu

The Mac has done it correctly for ages.

I find the auto brightness on my iPhone 4 dim perfectly in dark environments and light up enough to be viewable in the daylight.

maybe they need to tweak it up a bit to make if better in some cases, such as speed in changing brightness since it sometimes take awhile to recognize the brightness levels of where I am.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
If you compare it to the 3GS, the latter is faster in terms of adjusting to brightness around. More and more I believe that the sensor in the iPhone 4 is a piece of crap, thus there are so many of others experiencing the issues with it. It's a hardware flaw and no way Apple will fix it with software...

mb25667

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
They really need a secondary slider for the brightness, so you can set minimum and maximum.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I find the auto brightness on my iPhone 4 dim perfectly in dark environments and light up enough to be viewable in the daylight.

maybe they need to tweak it up a bit to make if better in some cases, such as speed in changing brightness since it sometimes take awhile to recognize the brightness levels of where I am.

What I'd like is for the brightness to be on absolute minimum in a pitch black room and on maximum on full sunlight.
Is that possible?

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I leave the brightness at 100%, and then when it gets totally dark (such as in a club or before the film starts in a cinema) I turn it all the way down to 0%, its still perfectly readable.

I'm actually very impressed with the brightness of the iPhones screen and how beautiful it looks on a day-to-day basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.