iphone 4 bumper, improved?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by seh80, Aug 3, 2011.

1. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

My original 2g iPhone finally died, so even though I know it's really close to iPhone 5 time, I purchased an unlocked iPhone 4. Anyway, I was reading reviews of the apple brand bumper, and they seemed pretty bad, saying that the bumper scratches the metal. These reviews were also about a year ago - so I'm wondering if this is still the case, or if they have improved them? Thanks!

2. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

The bumper never scratched the phone. It was dirt and dust that got in between the bumper and the phone that would scratch the band.

Now the bumper has improved slightly. The new one I actually bought at Target a few weeks ago is actually sized better. It sits tighter to the phone so the likelihood of debris getting in between the case and the bumper has been minimized. It will still need to be cleaned out though.

The one I got for free from the case program wasn't as tight.

In any event order some Lucky Labs wraps if you are truly concerned. They are cheap and actually look good. The clear ones offer some pretty good protection as they are slightly thicker than the standard Spectra Wraps.

3. vtran macrumors member

I am also a new iPhone 4 owner and I was always scared that the dust would get trapped under the bumper then it would scratch my antenna so I bought luckylabs spectra wrap and I think it was well worth the investment. If you need pictures, I will be more than happy to provide some.

Also, just a heads up if you take off the bumper too much then it will start to feel looser than before (in my experience). Comparing it to my brother's iPhone 4 w/ a bumper, I noticed that his was tighter than mine.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

My bumpered iPhone was sooo scratched up. I learned this as I took the bumper off for the first time in a year after my phone got doused in a rain storm. Apple helped me out with a replacement phone and now I'm really liking the iPhone 4 without a case at all.

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The colored bumpers are a complete waste of money--they get dirty/stained within weeks and aren't cleanable. Friends and I went through several, all the colors, and pretty much had the same experience. None of us continued to use them for longer than about two months because they looked so crappy so quickly, and they're way too expensive for that. It's a bummer, they look so good when they're new.

The black bumper is fine, if still a bit overpriced. Since the black doesn't show stains, that's a non issue. My husband has a black one that's almost a year old now. No real wear, it's not falling apart, still fairly tight, and no scratches on the band. But he doesn't remove it often.

6. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

If you prefer a bumper over a true case, don't go with Apple's offering. Its all looks no substance, at least until the discoloration sets in. Several companies have improved upon the bumper design. I'm fond of this one:

http://www.sgpstore.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-4/sgp-iphone-4-case-neo-hybrid-ex-series.html

Plus it comes with some high end screen protectors from Steinheil. Looks like some of the color choices are out of stock atm for the AT&T model, but if you're with VZW then you have a lot choices available.

In my experience, bumpers just tend to be less durable. They'll only last if you treat them well.

7. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

Thank you guys! Looks like I'm off to Lucky Labs. They seem to have a great reputation around here. Shame about the apple bumpers, but such is life.

8. Milord macrumors newbie

I have two Apple bumpers bought late last year and early this year and I haven't had any problem whatsoever. And I use them a lot. They haven't scratched my iPhone and they haven't got discolored (one is white the other black). I love them!

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

There are as many people saying they have marks on the antenna band to people saying they dont.

In my opinion it is the debris that sneaks under the bumper that causes the issue.
    Although some users report its the hard black plastic that was 'polishing' the steel band !

Some even boiled their apple bumper for 2 minutes to tighten it up.

Look at the SGP bumper as they seem ok too.

I use a rocket fish bumper which has left no marks at all.