Iphone 4 Bumper question

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Smarterchild, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Smarterchild macrumors member

I know the horrid problems with the signal strength of the iphone 4, Ive been planning on getting this replacement iphone but i live in a iffy AT&T area where i average 2-3 bars. I also heard if you get the Apple "bumper" case, problem solved. Is this true? Im wondering if it works as people says.

my current phone is the samsung jack. Im having droped service anyhow. If i touch it, i will drop half my service

2. draz macrumors 6502a

If you hold the phone and you see a significant drop in the number of bars being displayed then get a case for it and it will stop that. But if you hold it and cover the lower left corner and no drop happens then you are fine and a bumper is just a waste of money for you.

3. motty2307 macrumors regular

For the $30 you'll spend on a bumper, I'd just get a Wrapsol. Covers the whole phone and costs the same. Also, it fixed the issue involving the "death grip". I can hold the lower left hand corner of my phone all day and won't drop a single bar.

4. motty2307 macrumors regular

BTW, you might want to change your signature since there's no such thing as an iPhone 4G ;)

5. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

awesome, Thank you. Im just really worried about reception issues for where i live. Glad a case solves this problem. Would AT&T or bestbuy have the apple bumper case instock? Its 80miles to the nearest Apple store

6. draz macrumors 6502a

He did say future.... so the future could be 1 or 2yrs!

7. motty2307 macrumors regular

To the best of my knowledge, the only place to get an official :apple: bumper is from a retail :apple: store or to order it from the :apple: online store. I'm sure you could find some knockoffs for a lot less, but the quality of the official one is fantastic IMO.

8. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Best Buy won't but my at&t store has black bumpers. The Black bumper plus a full body invisible shield is stupendous.

9. motty2307 macrumors regular

Touché. I retract my previous statement. :D

10. motty2307 macrumors regular

+1

11. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

Forgive me, I wrote that a few months before the iphone 4 release and we all didnt know what exactly it would be.

12. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Bear in mind that very few charging cables fit when the bumper is in place. In addition, the bumper is not meant to be taken off and on repeatedly as its rubber parts will stretch out. That was the deal breaker for me since I didn't want to have to carry around the one cable that did fit. I returned mine this afternoon for this very reason (no restocking fee, BTW). I'm surprised Apple doesn't mention it on the packaging.

If you can get past that drawback, it does look nice.

13. amazingdm macrumors 6502

14. motty2307 macrumors regular

I heard that from some other people too, that's why I suggested a Wrapsol. It doesn't change the look of the phone and fixes the reception issue. Personally, I have a Wrapsol and a black bumper on mine.

15. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I've been using a bumper since launch, and neither of them have scratched my phone.