iPhone 4 Bumper Test Video

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFixYouri, Jul 9, 2010.

1. iFixYouri macrumors member

Hey everyone...we did a bumper test on an iPhone 4 to see how much protection it really offers....here's the link...

http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog

I'd embed the video here, but unfortunately there's no way to do it. Questions? Comments?

Enjoy.

2. bunger macrumors 6502

Thanks for the test! Just goes to prove how fragile these things really are!

It would be interesting to see a test with bumpers and a screen protector... got another few hundred $$ you would like to trash? :)

3. fender57 macrumors 6502

How about a test with a few of the aftermarket cases that are now out as a comparison?

4. cecoleman macrumors regular

In light of the drops from that video, it really demonstrates nothing. For one if you drop your phone it's highly unlikely you are going to do so in a suspended state floating to a heap of concrete. If you do a real world accidental drop the phone is going to be spinning or twirreling to the ground in effect lessoning the impact the glass would take as it hits the ground. Second of all having a screen shield on the front or back would also probably reduce the likelihood of a break. So these idiots who drop the phone glass down in a suspended state prove nothing more than how dumb they are. How many times do you think they shot that video to produce those results?

5. Hovey macrumors regular

I'd like to see it tested with a Wrapsol Ultra to see how much "shock protection" there can been in a film cover.

Slight bias there. A company that fixes phones posting drop tests? We don't know if anything was done to the phone.

6. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

Even then it took 3 drops for the glass to break.

7. pwb2103 macrumors member

All these posts and no one even says thanks?

Thank you iFixyouri. I realize that you get a ton of media coverage out of this, but it is still useful information and I appreciate you doing this. Although, to be honest, I really think the video should be about 30 seconds longer and should include something showing the phone after you fixed it. I've always watched these tests and wondered "yeah, but how good does it look after they fix it"... maybe that info is on your site but I haven't looked for it

8. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Wrong, you can easily be trying to pull the phone from your pocket quickly, phone slips from your hand and it drops just like that. I don't understand how people think screen protectors like IS and the like would do anything for a compression strike to the glass.

It doesn't matter if the phone has any type of forward trajectory, it may lessen the blow to the glass but from any normal height that a person would drop the phone the glass would break. Its glass guys! Gorilla glass will bend to a certain point but when its being prevented from bending by installing it on a phone with a bezel around the entire surface. It has nowhere to bend so it shatters.

This picture demonstrates just how weak the IS is at protecting the iPhone screen from anything coming into direct contact with the screen. It will do wonders against scratches but nothing for a drop.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the video, my bumpers are going back to apple, and my Speck is staying on for now.

9. diabolic macrumors 68000

All I know is that mine fell off my kitchen counter onto marble tile. I had the bumper on and there was no damage to the bumper or the phone. I feel lucky nothing happened.

10. iFixYouri thread starter macrumors member

You're welcome...it's our pleasure...and here's a video of the repair, looks and functions flawlessly!

http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog/?p=343

11. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

12. msduncan macrumors 6502

Thanks for the test videos.

When the glass shattered, I can't quite tell but it looks like it fell flat against the glass/concrete? Seems like the bumper might provide a bit more protection from corner shots when dropped (edge against concrete)?