iPhone 4 bumper -- what to get?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ghanwani, May 26, 2013.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

While I've decided to wait on getting a new iPhone till the next update (or till my current phone becomes unusable), I've run into an issue with my bumper falling apart. Seems like it's a well known problem and mine has actually lasted much longer at 2-1/2 years than average. However, reading reviews of the bumper on apple.com, it looks like the newer bumpers are made different, fit very tight and cause the sleep/wake button to keep getting engaged. Basically looks like a design issue since people who have gotten it replaced say it's the same with the new one.

Anyone run into this issue? If so what did you get? I really like the design of the bumper and other than the few scratches it caused around the sides, it has done its job pretty well. Just need something to get me over the next 6 months of so till the next iPhone. And hopefully, my home button won't stop working again!

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

If you're getting the new iPhone when it comes out, why do you NEED a new bumper? Can't you live 4 months without it, you are replacing it, right?

If a bumper is a must, you don't necessarily need to get the official Apple bumper case, there are 3rd party bumpers you could get, or a regular case. I just use a black silicone case that slips on my 4S, it'll cost you like $5 on Amazon.

3. kaylerrific macrumors regular

I agree. Those bumpers are so common. If you live in a big city in the US, you should be able to find a knockoff for really cheap at any mom and pop electronics store.

4. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Mall kiosks and street vendors sell them too (going off of the "big city" assumption)

Apple overcharges for most things due to the "premium" and since you'll be using the case for a maximum of 5 months, it doesn't need to have that premium Apple sheen.

5. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

Even the Dollar Stores carry iPhone bumpers and cases.

6. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mind paying the premium if it actually worked as well as what I have but the reviews (and there are several among the recent one) all say that the newer bumpers even though they are supposed to be the same as the older ones are too tight and simply do not work.

I think I'm convinced to just hold on to my broken one and hope it doesn't fall apart completely in the next 4-5 months...but since there is no release date yet for the next phone, who knows, it might actually be longer.

7. Wooderson00 macrumors newbie

If you are looking for something very inexpensive, MonoPrice makes a pretty good bumper at a very good price, like all their products. Can't speak to the quality of the bumper, but their cords are great.

I used a Tech21 bumper on my 4s and absolutely loved it. It was fantastic. Kept it in perfect condition. Kinda expensive (~$30-ish), as far as bumpers go, but definitely did the job.

8. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

That is pretty funny. I also have an iPhone 4 and my Apple bumper fell apart after 2-1/2 years. It was free, as a result of the antennagate thing. It is still usable, but looks like hell so I started carrying my phone "naked" a couple months ago and found that I actually prefer it like that. :)

9. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's OK if you prefer it naked as long as you don't drop it. The glass ih the 4/4S is much more susceptible to cracking on impact because of the design. The 5 is better in that respect.
    http://www.cultofmac.com/190499/why...d-why-you-wont-need-a-case-for-your-iphone-5/

10. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

FWIW, I went to the local Apple store yesterday to get a new bumper, but when I tried in the store, it was too tight and was causing the power button to get pressed (just as all the recent reviews on the Apple site say). So I returned it right there. Still with my old bumper but it feels like it's falling apart rapidly.

11. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

And the old bumper is now gone. It fell apart completely, so for now the phone is naked.

After a couple of intense sessions of Googling, I think I'm going to settle for this:
    http://store.griffintechnology.com/catalog/product/view/id/1667/s/reveal-for-iphone-5/category/3/
    Anyone use this? It's a full case rather than a bumper, but I can't seem to find another bumper that is reasonably priced and which also works well.

I really liked the way some of the aluminum ones looked, but it sounds they all of them will adversely affect reception, some more than others, so probably best to stay away from those.

Others that I considered were:

http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TRIM_iPhone4
    (looks a little bulky)

http://www.tech21.uk.com/Product/impact_band_iphone_4_4s_clear
    (quite a bit more expensive, especially with shipping from the UK, and some of the reviews said the volume buttons become harder to press.)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/designedbym/al13-ultra-thin-aerospace-aluminium-bumper-for-iph
    This was the coolest aluminum one I came across, but it's super pricey and yet adversely effects reception.

Of course I came across tons of others, but didn't care to seriously consider any of them.