iPhone 4 bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Boots-, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Boots- macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello everyone! I'm considering getting an iPhone 4. I heard that the glass smashes easily. I heard that the bumper case fixes this problem. Does it actually help reduce the smashing?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why would it? The bumper protects the edges, not the screen.

3. Scottgb macrumors member

4. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

It's really difficult to say, since the glass shattering can be attributed to any number of factors (height of drop, surface it lands on, angle the phone is in when it lands, etc.).

There have been people who have dropped their iPhones without a case, and their glass didn't crack. And of course, there have also been people who have dropped their phone with the bumper and reported their screens cracking.

I would say that having anything on it is better than having nothing. I have the black bumper and the incase smoke snap case, and I feel that the bumper offers better protection in the event of a fall. The incase snap case offers protection on the back, but it just seems too thin. The bumper feels more solid, and I don't see the back of the device being damaged, unless it falls on an uneven surface.

I also have a much better grip of the phone with the bumper on than without it, and so that will make it less likely for you to drop your phone.

5. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

I think he is talking about the issue with Glassgate. that cases that slide along the back make the glass crack. The bumper has no effect on this, just it can't do anything to the back since it doesn't even touch it. I don't think its a big issue, I use a TON of cases and I keep going back to the Incase Slider, and I have no scratches on the back of my phone. Plus if you really are worried, the incase one works with a back screen protector

6. Boots- thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, will the iPhone 4 shatter after normal everyday drops, or falling out of my hand? And does the bumper help prevent this?

7. fender57 macrumors 6502

You better get an Otterbox if you're worried about it dropping out of your hands.

I get by with a bumper or nothing at all.

8. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I don't think "everyday drops" are normal.

9. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Haha I was gonna say. Heres the thing, if you are worried about dropping your phone, or careless with your phone, I'd get something a little more protective like a candyshell or commuter/defender. Most of the people that use bumpers on their phone, probably don't drop their phone quite often, if at all. I personally use a bumper case with a leather skin on the back, but I also don't drop it and I'm very careful with my stuff, can accidents happen? Of course, but thats the risk you take. If I knew I dropped it quite often or was careless I'd have something a little more protective then a bumper. A bumper is almost as minimal as a case as you can get.

10. maximumsportz macrumors regular

So you have the Incase snap and bumper on together and it fits ok? I was thinking about doing this...

11. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

No, I don't have them on at the same time. I was just saying that I own both cases and each have their pros and cons, but ultimately I prefer the bumper.

12. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I think if you had a bumper and something like Invisibleshield on the front and back, you'd definitely be more protected than a just a bumper (Thank you captain obvious). I have a full body clear-coat shield on my iPhone, except the front screen, where I have an Invisibleshield. So my whole iphone is covered, and then I have it in a Griffin Reveal Frame, which is basically like a bumper, but the sides are see through, and the bumper itself is much stiffer than a bumper. I feel very confident with this combo that it would survive an accidental drop. Being that I've had an iPhone since 2007, and never dropped one, I feel pretty confident it won't happen.

13. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I had an invisible shield on for about a week before I got the bumper. Then I placed the bumper on the iPhone while the Invisible shield was applied on the front and back of the device, and it worked well, but after a week or so, the back film began to bubble up around an edge. So you have to apply it really well if you plan on using an invisible shield with a bumper.

14. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Agreed, I used this combo for about a month then I put a leather skin ontop of the invisible shield, and seems to work just as good, just another thin layer of protection.