iPhone 4 Bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brandnb, Jun 30, 2010.

1. brandnb macrumors newbie

Hello, I bought a bumper for my iPhone 4 and it's great and feels good, looks good, and isn't bulky. I wanted something to protect my phone however not make my phone become a brick (in size). My question is, is this bumper made for protection or mainly for the reception issue that is going on? I think this could handle some bumps and bruises, however not a drop from a decent height... Regards-

2. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

3. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Most likely it was created to alleviate/prevent the issues created when people touch the metal band since it's the antenna. I personally cannot believe Apple would make basically a rubber band for this "magical beautiful amazing incredible product" and not just go full out and make a damned case that actually protects the sides and the back while leaving the display open - in other words, what 99.999% of the other cases out there do.

Why go so far to make a "bumper" and not just make a case like everybody else?

I know Apple likes to think different, but this is simply too coincidental and too perfect a solution to keep people from touching the metal antenna band. Even Apple can't do perfection like this bumper is designed to be for that one specific problem.

4. Sedin macrumors member

This question has been answered.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=956253&highlight=bumper

That thread has a guy reporting that he dropped his phone with a bumper, and the phone didn't take any damage. There are a few other reports of people dropping their phones with bumpers on. I recall one person saying that the bumper was dented in the fall, but the phone was still perfect.

5. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Just as there are reports, photos, and even video footage (not of the dropping/falling, mind you) of people with bumpers (the Apple specific bumper) and other types of cases on their iPhone 4's and the front glass shatters - even one guy that stated his daughter dropped his fully encased (except the front display) iPhone 4 maybe 1-2' onto a carpeted floor and when he picked it up, he was pretty shocked to see the "spider-web" of cracks because it shattered.

It ain't how it falls, it's how it hits... and while the bumper will absorb some of the impact, because of it's tight fit and design it's still going to transfer a lot of that kinetic energy into the frame of the phone which then transfers it to the front glass and back, so, you could still find yourself with a busted phone even so. :(

6. Sedin macrumors member

That's not really what he was asking. At least not from how I read it. Sure things can happen and shatter your phone even WITH a case. But putting on a case should decrease the chances of shattering in comparison to going naked.

I was merely stating that people have dropped their phones with bumpers on and had their phone come out without a flaw. I know that the reports aren't very plentiful, but the 3 reports I have read about drops with the bumper stated that the bumper did its job.

Stuff happens. Sometimes you get an unlucky drop.

7. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Right, I get it - I'm sure the OP does as well - and I simply stated similar issues and also noted that some folks are actually having serious damage even in spite of the bumper being in place.

Pros and cons, positives and negatives, they may not always balance out but, it's best to provide information from both perspectives when asked instead of how some folks will automagically state things from the positive side - said people then have absolutely no clue how to handle anything negative that does eventually happen to occur. :D

8. Sedin macrumors member

I guess it's a matter of the glass half full or half empty.

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

It will definitely help if you drop the phone, but I believe the primary purpose of the bumpers is the antenna issue.