iPhone 4 Bumpers, Made of DIFFERENT Material?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Juan007, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

I have had my black bumper since launch and today I got my white bumper. There is a HUGE difference. The sides of the black bumper are made of rubber so it creates friction against the surface it is on. The white bumper seems to be all plastic and SLICK. I almost dropped my phone today because of the white bumper!!

In my opinion the construction of the black bumper is FAR superior to the white. How about the other colors? Has anyone compared, orange, blue, etc to the black bumper? Any official word from Apple on which bumpers are made from what?

2. hipvamore macrumors regular

yeah i've hear this from a few other people too.

3. k1ite macrumors newbie

k1ite

Yeah I have both the blue and black bumper case and I can tell a major difference in texture. The blue seems to be more smooth overall, and the black case however, had a rubbery texture that gave a much better grip.

I enjoy the blue case because it has a nice hue to it and will occasionally switch out colors from time to time, but I can tell a major difference in how each feels.

4. k1ite macrumors newbie

k1ite

I don't think a picture would help much because the difference between the colored (well black is a color too...) vs black is by texture, not by how it looks.

5. coasterider macrumors regular

6. k1ite macrumors newbie

k1ite

Well it can be but I don't see any visible differences and I don't have my camera with me at the moment to really show clear details on each bumper sorry.

7. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The black ones are probably made of a different material which would explain why they were mass produced and more readily available (that and black probably was a popular color).

8. ichii macrumors 6502a

ichii

For the those with the white bumper, does it get stained easily? I have a Griffin Reveal and I usually have the phone in my pocket most of the time, and it's gotten dark around the edges.

9. Munitalp macrumors 65816

The orange bumper is the slick hard plastic as well.... I returned two that I ordered because the material was different than the black ones. I hate the slick ones, its very easy to drop.

10. trssho macrumors 6502

I would think that the rubbery texture of the black bumper would be inclined to stain. Since it is black, that would be ok, while a white bumper that was made of an easy to stain rubber would be bad.

This sucks because I love the feel of my black bumper, and am waiting for my free white one that I probably won't like the feel of. (which by the way, was ordered June 30, and has an expected ship date of July 27)

11. Cakester macrumors regular

So apparently they didn't invent white rubber.....damn!!