Iphone 4 buying for wife help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Jan 22, 2011.

  1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    My wife account is now eligible for an upgrade. She wants the iphone.
    She said she will be happy with the 3gs, but I am telling her to buy the iphone 4. Is it a mistake buying the iphone 4 with the whole antenna problem etc.

    If she upgrades now and signs another 2 year contract when will she be able to upgrade if the iphone 4 turns out to be a problem.

    Or is it better to get the $50 3GS. Can you get a replacement for the iphone4 if it has antenna problem. How would I know if the phone as a problem when checking it out in store. Kindly suggest
  2. MacDawg macrumors Core


    Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    The whole antenna problem has been blown out of proportion
    Do you have good AT&T reception in your area?
    If you do, buy and and don't worry about it
    She will likely use a case anyway

    Don't look for trouble that isn't there :)
  3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    Does your wife use a case for her phones? If so, getting one for the iPhone 4 will negate the antenna issue. I got my iPhone 4 on launch day and had antenna issues for about a week until I got a case. Once I got a case, there were no antenna issues. I would go this route instead of getting a 3GS. She will be locked into a 2 year contract with a phone that probably won't be able to be updated to new versions of iOS.
  4. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    I have the iphone 3g and use a cover. I think my wife will also be using a cover for her phone. Although right now she does not use any since her current phone does not require one.

    On that matter of covers, which cover best suits the iphone 4 for solving the antenna prob. I think here in my area the coverage os good, but I am always on Edge and not on 3G and I feel 3G coverage can be better.
  5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    I use the Apple bumper. It has a raised edge so I can set it down without fear of scratching the back or front. It also provides added grip to a slippery phone.
  6. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    Is there going to be a white I4 released soon, if so then she can wait for that, if its indefinite then we will buy the i4 now.
  7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    There is no telling when or if a white iPhone will be released. People have been waiting since the iPhone 4 was introduced. If she wants an iPhone, I would just get it and not wait.
  8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020


    Nov 21, 2009
    Up There
    Dude, I'd tell the wife to wait 5 months for the new iPhone.
    It will most likely be available in white
  9. 184550 Guest

    May 8, 2008
    I think that it's more advisable to wait at this point until the iPhone 5 is available this summer.

    Even if she isn't interested in the features of the iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 will drop to the $100 price point (if history is any indication at least).
  10. iceterminal macrumors 68000


    May 25, 2008
    Dallas Tx.
    Forget about the 3GS. Its not worth the money right now with the next version coming closer and closer. If the next release is a solid update, you'll most likely to see the 3GS dropped like the 2G & 3G before it were.
  11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

    Aug 10, 2008
    I agree

    Best advise
  12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000


    Jul 2, 2009
    Wait until summer and get the newest iPhone. The 3GS is on it's last leg right now, and will most likely be dropped from Apple's lineup very soon. Plus you don't want to be locked into a 2 year contract with an obsolete model.

    If you can't wait then get an iPhone 4 refurb, I think they are $100 from AT&T.
  13. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a


    Jan 1, 2011
    I have used the iphone 4 naked and never experienced any antena problems. In fact I don't know any person in real life that has experienced the issue, the only reported cases I know off are from people on the internet.

    Anyway a case is highly recomended to protect from bumps an scratches.
  14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020


    Jun 16, 2009
    Indian Rocks Beach, FL
    This gets my vote as well. If you do decide to get an iPhone 4 now rather than wait for the next iteration, I've found pretty much any case will eliminate the antenna issue (which I have in spades). Right now I'm using the clear-ish Belkin Grip Vue because I have a skin on my phone & want to be able to see it. Other cases I've used have been the iFrogz Luxe Lean, the Rocketfish TPU cases, some generic TPU cases, a printed case from Cafe Press, a Disney snap-on case, and the Apple bumper. All took care of the antenna problem.
  15. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    I have another software related question. I have a 2007 macbook running tiger 10.4.11 and the itunes is 9.2.1 and it says it s the current version of itunes.

    The other day I tried to upgrade the ios from 4.1 on my iphone 3g to the next ios update, but it does not update coz it says that itunes needs to be updated.

    So is my iphoen 3g going upto only 4.1 and when my wife gets the I4 or i5 how will she be able to sync and update that phone with my itunes.

    Can 2 iphone be updated on one itunes account.
  16. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a


    Nov 30, 2010
    get the iphone4 or she will be disappointed when apple drops support i.e when they release the iphone 5
  17. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    The iphone 4 refurb is a good idea, but the 16gb is out of stock. So I guess i will wait and see when it comes up again. Do any of you know when att refreshes its online stock
  18. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

    Jan 17, 2011
    The 5th hour of every day

    lol, not sure....I'd assume as it becomes available :confused:
  19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.

    I think you need to update your computer to leopard.
    Tiger doesn't recognize the i4 I heard.
    Many pissed off customers that their apple computer doesn't get an update to recognize an apple phone.
  20. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a


    Dec 24, 2009
    There is no antenna problem. Buy the iPhone 4, and if there is ANY problem, antenna or otherwise, take it back and they will exchange in seconds. Why in the world are people still talking about this? It wasn't even a real problem in August, and it sure as hell isn't now...
  21. FuNGi macrumors 65816


    Feb 26, 2010
    If she "just wants a 3GS" then she doesn't care about the newest tech. Get her the iP4 now, in black, and she'll be very happy. The resolution difference on the screen plus the cameras make it way worth $100 or whatever.

    this. my fiancée's phone is eligible for an upgrade this coming June and I am definitely getting her an iP4 at that point. she won't care about the iP5.
  22. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    Wait what...........this is news to me tiger does not recognize i4. I guess I willd o the $29 snow leopard upgrade. Good thing I asked........
  23. ddnichols macrumors newbie

    Jan 23, 2011

    Go to Verizon and you wont have a antenna issue or a service/reception issue
  24. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    We are on a family plan, what data plan should I get for my wife. Also if you use wi-fi at home is data being used. or is it when we are on edge or 3g.

    I usually download apps using wi-fi at home and will be doing the same for my wife. She will use very little internet browsing, and no streaming music and no youtube etc.

    So should she get the minimum $15 200mb data plan?

Share This Page