Iphone 4 call quality, static, volume going up and down

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kissaragi, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I hadnt made many phone calls on my iphone 4 until today, but ive now had 2 separate people say i sound very echoy and distant on the iphone. One described it as if i was on a boat in high winds running back away and towards the phone the whole time. Voice memos also have a lot of background crackle and static.

Is this a common iphone 4 problem? Should i ring apple or my carrier (o2)?

2. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

If it sounds funny on voice record as well then it's probably your phone that's not working properly and not the network. Or you could try restoring your phone and see if it works then, if not take it to an Apple Store and they might give you a new one.

3. Kissaragi thread starter macrumors 68020

Well its crackly on voice memo, but much worse during a call, ill try restoring the phone and see.

Are they likely to have replacement phones in store to give out? The thought of being iphoneless for a week or more while they fix it fills me with horror

4. Brokebroker83 macrumors member

I suffer from the same issue. Initially on my first phone everyone said I was too echoey and sounded like I was talking from a distance. Second replacement had GPS issues.

Now my third one has the same problem as yours — a lot of white noise/hiss when I'm on a call. Also, when I record a voice memo the hiss/noise is very evident and quite frustrating!

I personally don't know what to do — I feel like the apple store geniuses hate me for being picky and have made their displeasure quite evident!

I don't want to bother returning this if the problem is quite common...

Whats the consensus on this one guys?

5. Kissaragi thread starter macrumors 68020

I actually found the call quality improved a lot if i covered the second mic on the top with a finger. The white noise is still there but the echo and voice volume almost seems like a software issue.

I know iphones aren't known for superb call quality, but you do expect something better than this on a £500 handset.

6. Brokebroker83 macrumors member

I know what you mean!!

I'll try your technique and let you know how it goes.