iPhone 4 camera blurry. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MBolt, Apr 30, 2013.

1. MBolt macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    My iPhone 4 camera stopped working randomly one day (see image). I can't view anything from the rear camera. The front camera works though (I can still use FaceTime and take selfies). Also the lens is not scratch. Does anyone have any suggestions or know how much it would cost to replace the camera at the Apple store (in Canada)?
    Thanks so much everyone for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They'd replace the whole phone, not just the camera module. Depending on the warranty status, it could considered an out of warranty replacement. That's $200+ I think.

3. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Would you mind taking a picture of you taking a picture of something that a normal camera would work, like a room or something?
    No camera can survive taking pictures of a piece of cloth from less than 4cm away.

4. MosesTheTool macrumors newbie

This happened suddenly? You or someone else didn't by any chance remove the back door cover?
    Because from your picture it looks like finger oil to me.
    If the back cover wasn't removed, and you suspect that the camera is faulty, yoi can QUITE EASILY replace it yourself. You only need:
    00 phillips screw driver
    5 edge special screw driver for iphone bottom screws
    And a plastic spudger (guitar pick or plastic knife will do)

Shut down phone.
    Unscrew 2 bottom screws,
    Push up the back cover and remove it,
    Unscrew the 5 screws holding antenna plate,
    Remove camera from its socket carefully.
    Put new camera in place and push down the socket (make sure you slide the right side with the stick thingy between the cable and chassis like it was before you removed it)
    connector gently until it clicks together.

If like said above apple will charge you 200$ and ask you to replace the phone, a couple minutes unscrewing stuff would be highly recommended.

Ofcourse I do not take responsibility if you break your phone, but watch a couple youtube videos, it is fairly easy.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+4+Rear+Camera/3142/1

Goodluck.