Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swanning-it

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Gold Coast Australia
Hi All,

I've just been searching posts on the new iPhone 4 flash ability and it seems very little is known of it yet. Would that be a correct statement?

I currently use a 3GS for work (involving taking photos of objects in low light and dark conditions). I love the 3GS but am pretty disappointed by the camera and so the only reason I'd entertain the idea of upgrading is for the camera flash and perhaps electronic advancements (like fuzzy logic).

The 3GS photos are often blurred, no matter how hard I try to keep it still and low light or no light is hopeless :mad:.

So can anyone say with confidence, if the LED flash is anything other than a poor attempt at appeasing those of us who want it or will it actually work? (The most of my low light/no light photos are reasonably close....1' to 3' range.) Does anyone know if the LED flash is an actual flash or do you turn it on? What effect might it have to the battery cycle?

Also can I expect any fuzzy logic (or whatever it's called these days) to help with the blurring?

Thanks for your time

Ian

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
While I haven't seen the iphone 4 yet, but if you are taking a photo from 1 to 3 feet, that led light should definitely help with a faster shutter speed, which will prevent blurring. If it can't even take a decent pic from 1 to 3 feet away with the led flash, what a fail it would be...

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
If you are using a camera in performance of your job, wouldn't it make sense to have a better stand alone camera? As far as the "flash" on the iPhone 4... how the heck are any of us supposed to know? You have seen the same info all of us have.

Dan in PA

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Lehigh Valley, PA
If you are using a camera in performance of your job, wouldn't it make sense to have a better stand alone camera? As far as the "flash" on the iPhone 4... how the heck are any of us supposed to know? You have seen the same info all of us have.

Agreed. I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which a cell phone camera would be more desirable than a dSLR or even a point and shoot camera...

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Dan in PA said:
Agreed. I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which a cell phone camera would be more desirable than a dSLR or even a point and shoot camera...

Well, at my job, sometimes customers want to know what something looks like, so I'll take a pic and text it to them. Not something that happens everyday, and not something that I'm required to do, I just do it to help the customer. Deffinatly doesn't require Me carrying a stand alone camera with me all the time, and even if I had one with me, would be to much of a pita to get them off the camera and email to them. Most people have cell phones that can recieve pics, and it's just quick and easy to do. Having a nice cell camera is something I like.

Dan in PA

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Lehigh Valley, PA
Well, at my job, sometimes customers want to know what something looks like, so I'll take a pic and text it to them. Not something that happens everyday, and not something that I'm required to do, I just do it to help the customer. Deffinatly doesn't require Me carrying a stand alone camera with me all the time, and even if I had one with me, would be to much of a pita to get them off the camera and email to them. Most people have cell phones that can recieve pics, and it's just quick and easy to do. Having a nice cell camera is something I like.

Ahh, okay. Thanks for the clarification. Nice user name, by the way :cool:

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Dan in PA said:
Ahh, okay. Thanks for the clarification. Nice user name, by the way :cool:

b55f8c05.jpg

Thanks. Been using it for years. Selling guns is what I do, so I send the pics to people who want to know what shape the used guns are in, etc.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008

Having a hard time? If the job doesn't require ultra high res, a simple cell phone shot is all one needs to "get the picture" in what's going on.

swanning-it

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Gold Coast Australia
Out of curiosity, what work are you doing with the 3G S?

I'm a marine surveyor and yes, I used to carry a stand alone camera, phone, torch, basic tool kit, diary, notepad to write down non-conformances etc. Trouble is, many holes I have to crawl into, just barely fits me! You've no idea how important it is to have one tool that will replace most of that previous list! That's exactly the way I see it......the iPhone is a tool for me, not simply a phone or a fashion accessory. It does the job of a camera (barely), phone, notepad, dictaphone, calendar (my own "nagging Nancy" to make sure I don't forget appointments) and with a bit of effort, the flash (and a torch function) could make it my most valuable tool! To top it all off, it syncs to Outlook, which I also use! I'm not an easy guy to impress with expensive "toys", but the 3GS has seriously impressed me.......except for the flash and blurry photos!

Come on gang, stop defending poor performance on behalf of Apple. They can do better (as other phone cameras have) but they really don't have to whilst we all keep patting them on the back over their really great stuff, whilst turning a blind eye to their really piss-poor performance with the camera! There's no point having a 5 meg camera, if they do nothing about improving the basics of the 3 meg they already have........well that's my take on it anyway.....as a photographer, I make a great marine surveyor!

As for the iPhone 4, terribly sorry, down here in Oz, we're usually behind the US with product releases.....I imagined some of you would have seen one, or played with one! Obviously not, my mistake :D!

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Dan in PA said:
Hah, your Molon Labe hat matches a shirt I have. :)

Lol, that's not me, just a pic I found on the web a long time ago and then thought it would make a good screen name and avatar when I first started posting on gun forums.

Dan in PA

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Lehigh Valley, PA
I'm a marine surveyor and yes, I used to carry a stand alone camera, phone, torch, basic tool kit, diary, notepad to write down non-conformances etc. Trouble is, many holes I have to crawl into, just barely fits me! You've no idea how important it is to have one tool that will replace most of that previous list! That's exactly the way I see it......the iPhone is a tool for me, not simply a phone or a fashion accessory. It does the job of a camera (barely), phone, notepad, dictaphone, calendar (my own "nagging Nancy" to make sure I don't forget appointments) and with a bit of effort, the flash (and a torch function) could make it my most valuable tool! To top it all off, it syncs to Outlook, which I also use! I'm not an easy guy to impress with expensive "toys", but the 3GS has seriously impressed me.......except for the flash and blurry photos!

Come on gang, stop defending poor performance on behalf of Apple. They can do better (as other phones cameras have) but they really don't have to whilst we all keep patting them on the back over their really great stuff, whilst turning a blind eye to their really piss-poor performance with the camera! There's no point having a 5 meg camera, if they do nothing about improving the basics of the 3 meg they already have........well that's my take on it anyway.....as a photographer, I make a great marine surveyor!

As for the iPhone 4, terribly sorry, down in in Oz, we're usually behind the US with product releases.....I imagined some of you would have seen one, or played with one! Obviously not, my mistake :D!

Very interesting...sounds like a neat field to work in. I have no doubt that the flash will be able to be used as a torch - I know the Droid's LED flash can be used as such. I agree that the previous cameras perform fairly poorly, though my 3G S's camera is much faster than my Droid's. Image quality on both phones is...lacking.

Lol, that's not me, just a pic I found on the web a long time ago and then thought it would make a good screen name and avatar when I first started posting on gun forums.

Lol d'oh! :p

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Unless Apple messes up the flash big time, and I don't see this happening, these LED flashes will work over short distances. The 1-3' that you described would be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.